• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Miss Kerry

New to GSN!
Thanks for the Twisted Hobbys suggestion. I've been looking at their planes and currently have them at the top of the list, though I wasn't sure which model would be the best. I just know that my fiance would prefer that his fairly new 48" Edge remains in one piece. If a woman driver is bad, can you imagine what a woman pilot would be like?? ;)

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Haha baloney. There are girl 3D pilots way better than me. Look up trixie kimball on youtube. Id get one of the smaller 32" ones, because the bigger ones have more mass and get beat up more, plus you have to worry about broken props and CA hinges and all that stuff. Oh yeah, and get a few tubes of welders glue.

SteveT.

100cc
Welcome to 3DRC Miss Kerry!! Happy to see another person of the feminine gender here....we need more!!

SteveT

SnowDog

Hello! I thought that I should introduce myself in case you guys see me lurking around. I am still learning the basics of RC flying, but I hope to be up-to-speed by next flying season to begin 3D flying.

I was first introduced to the hobby a little over a year ago when I started dating my fiance. I would go to the flying field with him and watch. Then I took him to SEFF this year for his birthday and I really started paying attention to the 3D stuff. When we left there I let him know that I wanted to learn how to fly. He's been teaching me (as time allows) since May. That sounds like a long time but due to our schedules it seems like I've only been able to actually get any flying time in a little over a handful of times. I have a sim on my laptop, though, so I've been trying to practice when I get a chance.

My fiance was a bit surprised when I mentioned that I wanted to get involved with 3D flying. He's an EDF jet guy, so that's his forte. I've already confiscated his DX7 and have taken ownership of it. Don't feel bad, though. I only did that after he purchased the new DX18! I'm going to ask for an EPP 3D plane for Christmas, but I haven't quite decided which one. I'm still doing my research.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't mind having me skulking around. I mainly want to sit back and observe while trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible. I'll jump in when I feel that I can, but I'm still very new to the whole RC and airplane world. Thanks :)

Miss Kerry, welcome to the forum! glad to have you here...don't skulk...we'd love to have you participating in our discussions :)
I think if your fiance got a DX18 out of the deal, giving you the DX7 was a no brainer!
Regarding the flying time issue, I struggle with that too...that's why I'm glad I have a sim to help me with stick time when I can't fly.
Which sim do you have? You will notice people posting "RF 6, huckin, addict" from time to time (or something similar) this is an invitation to join others in a multiplayer session on Real Flight 6 (the most common, a few have Phoenix)...if you see this, please join them, I promise you will have lots of fun and the others will enjoy helping you learn how to do maneuvers.
Again, welcome, we're glad you're here.
-Mike

rdcskkrose

Banned
Hello! I thought that I should introduce myself in case you guys see me lurking around. I am still learning the basics of RC flying, but I hope to be up-to-speed by next flying season to begin 3D flying. I'm going to ask for an EPP 3D plane for Christmas, but I haven't quite decided which one. I'm still doing my research. I hope you guys don't mind having me skulking around. I mainly want to sit back and observe while trying to soak in as much knowledge as possible. I'll jump in when I feel that I can, but I'm still very new to the whole RC and airplane world. Thanks :)

Miss Kerry,

From what I can tell from the above that you are a 3D enthusiast and that you have drunk the koolaid. LOL.

May I recommend for a starter the Aeroworks 540 profile. It's not foam and has a built up wing. I think I have $225 in mine with a Scorpion 2215, HS65HB all around, 1300 3S, spinning a 11x3.8 SF. NO FEARS!

http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=294

Ron

Miss Kerry

New to GSN!
Thanks for all of the greetings and the suggestions! I have read that if you want to progress to a balsa plane that you should go with an EPP plane that is at least 48" because it won't be as much of a difference in flying the two. Do you think that this is true?

I have the ClearView sim on my laptop. It's not the greatest, but it does give me some stick time. When I'm at my fiance's I use his computer which has the latest Phoenix sim on it (is it Phoenix 4?), which I like because then I can use my DX7. I really am such a novice beginner that I'm still working on my landings and approaches. I really don't expect to begin the 3D maneuvers until this winter. I'm not one to be very patient, but I'm really trying hard to become good at "normal" flying before I start tearing up the sky.

rdcskkrose

Banned
Thanks for all of the greetings and the suggestions! I have read that if you want to progress to a balsa plane that you should go with an EPP plane that is at least 48" because it won't be as much of a difference in flying the two. Do you think that this is true?

I have the ClearView sim on my laptop. It's not the greatest, but it does give me some stick time. When I'm at my fiance's I use his computer which has the latest Phoenix sim on it (is it Phoenix 4?), which I like because then I can use my DX7. I really am such a novice beginner that I'm still working on my landings and approaches. I really don't expect to begin the 3D maneuvers until this winter. I'm not one to be very patient, but I'm really trying hard to become good at "normal" flying before I start tearing up the sky.

You may want to think about updating your technology. Just a Hillbilly thinkin.

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Yeah +1 on a better sim. Most of the guys on here use realflight 6 and a few have 4.5. A few others use phoenix..........

gyro

GSN Contributor

Miss Kerry, you should take a peak in our vendor sponsored forums, as we have vendor there who sell everything you need to get started.

Miss Kerry

New to GSN!
I'm not too worried about my level of technology. I spend half of my time at my fiance's place, so I have quite a bit of access to the Phoenix sim. The hardest part is just trying to find the time to devote to it. :)