• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks for the warm welcome 3DMike!

I've been flying RC in Juneau, Alaska for about 15 years, Just getting into gassers and loving it. Been flying nitro and electric for some time now. I restarted our local R/C club about 7 years ago: Gastineau Aeromodelers Society AMA#1573. I'm an Aircraft Mechanic by trade, but would rather fly the little ones (MUCH CHEAPER!!).

Few planes I fly:
-3DHS AJ Slick 540 71" DLE35RA HS-7955TG's on my 5th gallon. Had lots of issues with the DLE35RA, but I believe I'm getting a grip on it now. Just lots of little issues I believe... (Piece of RTV mad it's way under the float needle was the big one... Bad NGK spark Plug (mid range miss & dead sticked it in), Cowl pressure, newbie stuff)
-AJ Laser 230z 73" ON THE WAY!! debating which powerplant. DLE35RA, DA35, VVRC40. Tim Jesky is a great guy to place an order with FYI, Highly Recommended!!
-Mojo 40 55AX and many more.

This seems like a great forum, that is also family friendly so to speak.
Welcome! I have had two DLE35'S (just sold one of them) that I had really good luck with. I'm sorry to hear yours was such a struggle to get right. I'm really jealous if anyone that lives in AK, except for the winter. Of course yours are pretty temperate by comparison, right? Lots of fly days ruined by precipitation I bet.

Zebt66. No but I go up there to some of there events. Ive met some of the members. Robert Vess ( Founder of Vess Propellers) flies up there. Also you might want to check of the First in Flight Jet Show in Wilson. Its awesome.

Thanks for the welcome.

My name is Erik, 36 years old. I live in a small town near the Gulf Coast and Mobile Bay in coastal Alabama. I currently fly at 3 different local fields within 20 miles of my home.

I have been flying again since December after 13 years of being away from it. I was flying glow pattern planes at that time. Getting back into the hobby, I bought a 10cc gas sport plane to get my feel back. I've been flying at least 3 days a week since December with a lot of 3D simulator time in there too and quickly grew out of that plane wanting to get into large 3D gas. A 20cc Edge 540 was ordered soon thereafter and just received my 50cc Slick 540 (green) from Redwing RC today with a DLE55 and a ton of other goodies. I can't wait to get it going.

I have been fortunate to befriend some local 3D guys who have been a ton of help that have extensive knowledge and are excellent pilots. I am looking forward to learning a lot and becoming an awesome 3D pilot. Progression in 3D is coming quickly thanks to the simulator and my competitive nature. I just added a foamy in there to add to the mix as well.

Thanks for the help I may receive here in advance and if I can be of assistance to anyone, I'd be glad to help in any way.

Thanks again,
Erik

Zebt66. No but I go up there to some of there events. Ive met some of the members. Robert Vess ( Founder of Vess Propellers) flies up there. Also you might want to check of the First in Flight Jet Show in Wilson. Its awesome.

Sounds good, i will be going up there more often now that i will have a membership. Let me know the next time you come up this way. Looking forward to meeting you.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Welcome! I have had two DLE35'S (just sold one of them) that I had really good luck with. I'm sorry to hear yours was such a struggle to get right. I'm really jealous if anyone that lives in AK, except for the winter. Of course yours are pretty temperate by comparison, right? Lots of fly days ruined by precipitation I bet.

We had a VERY mild winter this year. Basically no snow on the ground right now. If the weather is marginal I usually pack up my planes, head to the field and make a decision to wait to see if the weather clears up. Put in a couple flights this afternoon, with a great running DLE35 the whole time. It seems to puddle fuel in the low range, once I pull a high G maneuver it bogs down audibly for a second then clears up. Sounds like these smaller DLEs have this issue, or it could be the float/diaphragm needle isn't tensioned right. Still leaning out the low a bit at a time. It's swinging a Vess 20A at 7500rpm Oft AGL, it's idling around 1800, I did put a frank bowman piston ring in before the first start, timed at 28deg, .022-23 gap NGK CM-6, 32:1 STHL Ultra. Debating 40:1.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
A little dip in rpm is normal in a high g move. Are you running an idle-up? I have a switch set to give me a high idle during flight... maybe 2200 rpms or so. I switch it on when I begin to give throttle for take-off and switch it off on my final approach for landing. A high idle is deadstick insurance for pop tops and other high-g moves. It takes a little getting used to in harrier etc. since there is always enough throttle applied to produce some thrust. A little practice and you get used to it though and it doesn't limit you at all.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
A little dip in rpm is normal in a high g move. Are you running an idle-up? I have a switch set to give me a high idle during flight... maybe 2200 rpms or so. I switch it on when I begin to give throttle for take-off and switch it off on my final approach for landing. A high idle is deadstick insurance for pop tops and other high-g moves. It takes a little getting used to in harrier etc. since there is always enough throttle applied to produce some thrust. A little practice and you get used to it though and it doesn't limit you at all.

I was thinking about that! I never really knew what it meant, it makes perfect sense now. THANK YOU. I'm going to explore this feature on my Tx now.

Flightmech

New to GSN!
Thanks 3D Mike,

My name is Tony, came to the hobby a little late in life. But the first time I saw 3D flying I became hooked! I fly at our field in Sequim WA. Awesome group of guys and a couple of really good 3D flyers here. Several of us have gone to the last two Wenatchee Huckfests and were blown away watching Nate and Gaby, SupaTim, Geno and of course Oliver! Amazing what an eight year old can do.

Currently flying the new Edge 540 profile from Redwing RC, DLE 20cc. Tim from redwing said they are good flyers and he wasn't kidding. Was flying a Extra 260 with an EME 60cc but lost it due to a low voltage blackout on the power board. I was using the yellow board from redwing and a 2 cell life. Talked to Tim and he told me the recommended voltage was 7-13... So was my fault. But he replaced the board free of charge. So when I set up my next 50-60cc I will definitely be using the 3 cell life.

My wife and I are going to be moving to Eastern TN this summer to be closer to family( and closer to Triple Tree) so will be going to Joe Nall next year!
Cant wait for that gathering, from what I have seen and heard its a must due for any RC junkie!!!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks 3D Mike,

My name is Tony, came to the hobby a little late in life. But the first time I saw 3D flying I became hooked! I fly at our field in Sequim WA. Awesome group of guys and a couple of really good 3D flyers here. Several of us have gone to the last two Wenatchee Huckfests and were blown away watching Nate and Gaby, SupaTim, Geno and of course Oliver! Amazing what an eight year old can do.

Currently flying the new Edge 540 profile from Redwing RC, DLE 20cc. Tim from redwing said they are good flyers and he wasn't kidding. Was flying a Extra 260 with an EME 60cc but lost it due to a low voltage blackout on the power board. I was using the yellow board from redwing and a 2 cell life. Talked to Tim and he told me the recommended voltage was 7-13... So was my fault. But he replaced the board free of charge. So when I set up my next 50-60cc I will definitely be using the 3 cell life.

My wife and I are going to be moving to Eastern TN this summer to be closer to family( and closer to Triple Tree) so will be going to Joe Nall next year!
Cant wait for that gathering, from what I have seen and heard its a must due for any RC junkie!!!
[MENTION=3933]Flightmech[/MENTION] Well I bet our paths have crossed at the huckfest but this year you have to come to Monster Fest!

Glad to have another Pacific Nothwesterner here!