• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New ZDZ112 B2RV / Installation into PAU Edge 540

Looks great Terry. If I can offer a suggestion though. try and wrap your baffling behind the heads. I dropped 60F from going from baffling like what you have to including a wrap to force air behind the cylinder heads. Plus it balanced out the temps from head to head. I had a large differential between both heads prior also.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I've seen that in books and on the web, and understand the concept behind it but it is largely un-needed for this type of installation and the type of flying I do (3d with a mix of precision and scale aerobatics).

I got the plane wrapped up and got it fired up for the first time (but forgot my camera disk at the shop :oblong:).

I used the normal starting procedure like you would for DA, DLE or any other engine. It drew fuel right away and actually ran extremely well. I am not used to how the rotary valve runs on the low end so I called Joe up and he gave me some tips, and I'm going to head out and get a couple gallons through this baby next week. The thing has so much compression that you can spin the prop through compression with light pressure and it will flip all the way back around. I'm used to seeing that in DLE's after about 10 gallons and bowman ring upgrades so this is sure to be exciting.

It is spinning the Falcon 28x9 carbon like it's not there and the nicest thing about the rotary valve is the transition from low to high is smooth all the way through, no strange burbley spots even when it is tuned rich. I'll get some batteries for my tachometer and get some readings to start and then after a couple of gallons. I'll post my pics tomorrow....

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Split cowls makes baffling much easier. Not so easy on a single piece. Good looking work.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Wrapped up and ready to fly... Engine has been started three times for tuning, will get a vid later today of a cold startup and some run-ups. It is smoooooooth from bottom to top, can't wait to see it after we get a few gallons through it.

24lb. 9oz. without batteries.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 320
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 306
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 299
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 324
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 303
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 275
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 260
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 272
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 281
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 289
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 283
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 278
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 328
  • image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 298
  • image017.jpg
    image017.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 267
  • image018.jpg
    image018.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 284
  • image019.jpg
    image019.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 271
  • image020.jpg
    image020.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 310
  • image021.jpg
    image021.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

yakken

100cc
Wrapped up and ready to fly... Engine has been started three times for tuning, will get a vid later today of a cold startup and some run-ups. It is smoooooooth from bottom to top, can't wait to see it after we get a few gallons through it.

245lb. 9oz. without batteries.
Nice,but your going to need a bigger engine for 245 lbs.lol[emoji12]

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
This is a cold start, fourth start of the engine. One thing I noticed is that it burns off the prime when it fires, so unlike most reed engines I'm used to, after it fires it needs 2-3 flips with choke on, then choke off and it fires like any other 100cc engine. I'll probably do another cold start vid when we maiden now that I know it needs a few flips after first fire. Makes sense, no reed cage to have residual fuel sitting so once it fires, it's all cleaned out.

Either way, it sure beats the "old" ZDZ starting proceedure that ended in a sweaty mess and a sore shoulder!!! The smoothness of the engine throughout the operating range is pretty amazing for an engine with a total of 12 minutes on it. I'll be pretty excited to get a couple of gallons through this thing and get some RPM data and performance video's.

The biggest thing with the high compression and rotary valve is I was tuning it for low throttle spool up and was not getting there. Joe at ZDZUSA.com told me to hold it at about 1/3 or "just under half" throttle and tune the low so it just barely had some stumble of richness to it. Well, wouln't ya know it worked! Low end spools nice, mid range all the way through high is perfect transition!!!!

I'll get some more cold start and RPM vids after we get a gallon or two through this 112!!

Last edited: