• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU 30% Sukhoi SU-26 ARF 50-60cc

mac26r

50cc
Great flight Terry! I knew my sukhoi was capable of more than I'm doing with it, but your video proves it! I'm off to buy more gas!!!

mac26r

50cc
Hey Terry, I'm curious where you ended up on control throws? I think I either have to much or it might be me just over controlling it. Every once in a while I'll put in controls to roll left from fairly high alpha but instead it will snap to the right! This is just an example, it seems to happen both ways. Maybe too much elevator input? I'm a pretty new flyer and just trying to get better off the backs of those who know.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sounds a bit like wrong inputs for a positive snap. Are you pushing the sticks to opposite corners by chance? I see a lot of people do that for some reason. If you are snapping the plane and the plane is in an upright orientation then the sticks always go the same direction (both left or both right). I don't fly with rates myself even for IMAC (just leaned without and do better without), but for a good snap you want to lead with the elevator (from upright or inverted) to induce the "break" and simultaneously add aileron and rudder but not full high rates rudder and elevator as they show here: http://www.rcflightschool.com/Adv_LessonsPDF/Adv_0D18-19.pdf

Snaps seems cleaner with lower rate rudder, high rate aileron and mid-rate elevator. For a knife edge to knife edge snaps you will want to lead with the rudder to induce the break. My favorite is the 1.5 snap in KE to go from canopy in to belly in.

If you are inverted at the time of the snap you will want to do an outside snap, or sticks in the opposite corners like this but always lead with the surface that is facing "up": http://www.rcflightschool.com/Adv_LessonsPDF/Adv_0E26-27.pdf

I'm no pro but I can't count the number of people I see doing going crazy pushing their sticks to opposite corners at full throttle trying to make the stabs depart the plane.

To answer your original question on high rates I have all I can get (about 50* on each surface) but the ailerons seems way way fast so I'm going to scale that back. I've been doing a lot of lazy scale flying around with low rates set to about 25-30* on all surfaces. It does really nice snaps even on these low rates.....actually extremely scale looking snaps. On low rates it also does an extremely scale looking lomcevak!!! On high rates the lomcevak becomes a "crankshaft". I've done a few of those with the sukhoi as well and they are pretty damn crazy I must say!!! Check it out: http://www.rcflightschool.com/Adv_LessonsPDF/Adv_J70-73.pdf

Does this help??

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
Okay Jay, now that you know how to do it, I will expect to see it today at the field! NO EXCUSES!! HAHA! LOL!

mac26r

50cc
Thanks Terry. I read your answer several times (until I smelled smoke). Great answer and flying with guys like you and Jeff are my greatest help. Think what I'm taking away the most is, less stick banging and more finesse! In the example I described I'm not trying to do a snap roll, more of a controlled turn in a high alpha position. I understand opposite rudder to alieron inputs to get the plane to come around and can do it most of the time. I'm still working very high because one of these snaps can take 20 ft to recover. It's kind of a catch 22, higher up you don't crash but I feel less connected and a little more "behind" the plane then when I'm lower. Which is great because now the voices in my head are yelling "LOWER!"

Jeff, I don't think im going to make it out today. Out of town family doesn't share my addiction so another day of cold turkey withdrawl!!!!

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
mac26r;15460 wrote: Jeff, I don't think im going to make it out today. Out of town family doesn't share my addiction so another day of cold turkey withdrawl!!!!

You just have to convince them how cool it is and how pretty it is at the field!!! Think outside the box, man! make it a picnic.....yeah, that's it, a PICNIC! HAHA!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
mac26r;15467 wrote: I might be able to convince them its a circus!

:big dance:

Haa, you guy's would fit in great with our afternoon crowd. I expect to hear good reports form the circus picnic. I did notice the Sukhoi is crazy easy to steer in an inverted harrier but does take a little more finesse upright.

mac26r

50cc
Well then, inverted I shall go. Jeff make sure you're

Terry, I've watched your videos and trolled the Florida forum, I have to figure out a way to get down there someday! You guys sound like you're doing it right!

Whatya think Jeff, road trip?