• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

PAU Ultimate assembly

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have had my share of bad fire walls. The only way to get around it, is that I made 2 - 3mm flat plates on either side of the fire wall. The plates were cut and fitted to the motor and firewall and drilled out to lighten it as much as possible.
Hitting the ground in a supersonic dive does not count as a bad firewall!!!

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
No gustit supports on the inside of the firewall , i ran a square 1/2 x 1/2 " pieces on the insides and bottom of the firewall . I little hysol and all is good.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thinking about one thing while typing another does not work very well apparently.

Last edited:

Rusty 73

100cc
I see Herve is using the old hardware , gold thread supports . I replaced all of mine with Dubro as i had play in the gold ball joint .
Check to see if all the turnbarrel threads are completely cut in as i had all the left threads on the turnbarrel weren't completely cut in..

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
No gustit supports on the inside of the firewall , i ran a square 1/2 x 1/2 " pieces on the insides and bottom of the firewall . I little hysol and all is good.
The corner gussets are on the front, but I will probably add some to the rear before closing it up.

I see Herve is using the old hardware , gold thread supports . I replaced all of mine with Dubro as i had play in the gold ball joint .
Check to see if all the turnbarrel threads are completely cut in as i had all the left threads on the turnbarrel weren't completely cut in..
Joints are good, did clean out the threads a bit but the turnbuckles bottomed out, can't ask for more.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
You (Rusty) must have got the oddball as mine is pretty good and all the other build's I read before buying it did not mention any issues. But then again it is an ARF and what one see's as an issue another might not. I am a long time builder and don't see issue's but rather an ARF and all ARF's need something in the eye of the beholder. So anything that does pop up, in my eye, I can iron out with relative ease. One also has to take into account most people want cheap, light, and strong, but those three words do not go together. Some of the items you have brought up such as the hardware I would typically toss but I found this one's to be good enough. As for the ply, it is lightply, and we want light right. The corner stock was probably left out because of the top opening, I would assume it was done this way so the assembler could utilize the space and then add reinforcement's as he deemed necessary. Quite honestly the only thing in this ARF I am concerned over, and will replace, is the main wheel's and wheel collars, new one's have been ordered.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It's mainly older ARF's that one could pick apart. I know one thing. I'm done buying "discount" ARF's and expecting stellar flight performance. And the top shelf ARF's (EF, 3DHS, Pilot, PAU, AJ Aircraft) are all now following a trend of strong, light, CF reinforced construction / airframes. But be confidant that your Ulti is a great solid flyer. Looking forward to your Maiden.