• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Peak Models 32% Extra 330 SC

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Have you test run the engine yet dimes? That thing has got to be loud!

Not yet and yes I think it is going to be loud too! I do have an idea for adding 3 or four half circle baffles which get off set from each other. It is going to be trial and error:dancing-chicken:.

Hey Dimes....why not use two 45 deg elbows, one angled up to the rear, and the other to straighten it out back into the tunnel?

Earl this plane was designed to accept a can or pipe for 55/60cc class motors only (single cylinder). The pipe tunnel deck incorporates the landing gear block:ugh!:. The width of the tunnel will allow enough room for small smooth pipes but not small cans. Obviously I did a poor job researching exhaust options with this model:face-palm:. I did measure and found that a 35mm drop is required to put the header in the center of the tunnel. The DA 70 gets choked down quite a bit with a medium (50/60cc) pro flo. So the great experiment is on lol.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
OK....I just thought the drop was an issue. Didn't realize the single pipe was a problem as well.

Yea......This plane would be best set up with in cowls if choosing a twin cylinder engine. As a matter of fact If this (header muffler) ends up being a flop that is what I am going to do. I do have a "gut" feeling that this is going to work! I have already started making a "baffle insert". Will get some pics when I get it done.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Don't know if it's going to choke the flow or be sweet???? It will definitely lower the db's.
With no baffling I seriously doubt that I could get a decent tune on the engine. There is no secret formulae or method to this madness. This is nothing more than experience and trial and error. I for one am very curious and excited to get the engine running with it:).

1027151802-00.jpg
1027151802-01.jpg
1027151803-00.jpg
1027151811-00.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Yea......This plane would be best set up with in cowls if choosing a twin cylinder engine. As a matter of fact If this (header muffler) ends up being a flop that is what I am going to do. I do have a "gut" feeling that this is going to work! I have already started making a "baffle insert". Will get some pics when I get it done.

I just ordered a set of Jtec's Compacts for mine last night.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Started putting in the radio.....Battery and XT60 connector housings should be here tomorrow. Not a lot left to do. Hoping to run the engine for the first time this weekend. I made the receiver tray / holder removable. Got quite a bit of the wire loom left so I will make use of it for servo wire guides.

1028152046-00.jpg
1028152048-00.jpg
1028152049-00.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Don't know if it's going to choke the flow or be sweet???? It will definitely lower the db's.
With no baffling I seriously doubt that I could get a decent tune on the engine. There is no secret formulae or method to this madness. This is nothing more than experience and trial and error. I for one am very curious and excited to get the engine running with it:).

View attachment 43697 View attachment 43698 View attachment 43699 View attachment 43700
That's actually really cool..... I am curious though "Dimes", is the diameter of your "baffle plates" large enough that they fit snuggly into the Teflon coupler? Or have you waved your magicians wand and in your own crafty and wizardry way created a way to keep it in place??? I would love to hear how it db's out. And the overall performance too. You may be onto something here.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hey!......... they have been machined to .0000000001 tolerance!!!:laughing:.

Actually Rob the fit is quite snug but I do have a set screw that captures the bottom baffle plate to prevent the thing from being puked out lol.