• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Peak Models 32% Extra 330 SC

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
O'tayeeee..... Got the rudder mounted and the pull pull installed! Supposed to rain all weekend but that's cool cuz we need some. I suspect definitely a maiden by weekend week;).

Will try and get the engine run and give a report by the weekends end:).

1104151637-00.jpg
1104151639-00.jpg
1104151640-00.jpg
1104151641-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Been side tracked a bit and have not been able to get the remainder done quite yet.
So updated to do list......
1. Mount aileron servos and install horns and hardware.
2. Finish trimming cowl and install a drag baffle and cylinder baffles.
3. Initial programming of the 14sg for flight control throws D/R Expo.
4. Test run engine.
5.Maiden!
1112151808-00.jpg
1112151808-01.jpg
1112151809-00.jpg
1112151810-00.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking good, little jealous that you have warm weather at this point. You had mentioned a few posts back about having to modify the rcxcel ignition cutoff, what's the deal with that.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looking good, little jealous that you have warm weather at this point. You had mentioned a few posts back about having to modify the rcxcel ignition cutoff, what's the deal with that.

The weather has been nice and the next few months ahead is when I do most my flying. We can expect some really nice days with highs in the mid sixties and falling to mid fifties in January and February with some lower temps thrown in but not many or that long of cold days down here. We will get an occasional "overnight freeze" but nothing that keeps you sipping whisky or hot chocolate.........unless you just enjoy sipping whisky and hot chocolate:).

Hmn....The RcExl cut off.....When using a IBEC or same battery as for the receiver the input power is seen at both ends of the control circuit. Only the "signal" voltage is opto isolated inside these switches. What this does is if you do not cut or redirect input voltage to the signal lead in pigtail only the unit will not come on. It is explained in a "awful" manner in the single instruction sheet that comes with the switch. That is what I had to do in my Pilot Edge EME 60 combo. I simply chose the Smart-Fly system because I already had an opto receiver and the DA ignition needed to be regulated to 5 volts. The RcExl ignition in the Edge sees unregulated 2s lipo power. I guess I could have put the regulator " ahead" of the switch instead of after the switch but that would have made for more wires going forward in to the motor box cavity and I was desperate to "minimize" the amount of wire in this thing as to make it look "clean".

I just got USPS shipping info from Quest Engineering and the opto x-mitter should be here Monday:).

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Stoked on getting this in the air! Control surface travel is fine and should provide awesome maneuverability! I had mentioned way earlier in the thread that it may be a concern and that the hinges are all pre glued except rudder.
I am really liking what I'm seeing with this model.
1112152133-00.jpg 1112152134-00.jpg 1112152138-00.jpg 1112152141-00.jpg 1112152142-00.jpg 1112152143-00.jpg 1112152143-01.jpg 1112152144-00.jpg 1112152144-01.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Seems strange, I was told those were good cut-offs but I don't intend to run a third pack, just a lead from one of LiPo's. I do this in my other 40'centers and it works great. Used to use 42% products switch but I heard they have had sketchy quality, not sure though.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Seems strange, I was told those were good cut-offs but I don't intend to run a third pack, just a lead from one of LiPo's. I do this in my other 40'centers and it works great. Used to use 42% products switch but I heard they have had sketchy quality, not sure though.

They are good cut offs. Just did not want to "modify" it to get it to work on this particular plane with my set up.
Here is the "mod" if you want to pick up supply power with the receiver connector pig tail (or using the same battery to power the ignition and receiver). Also a pic of the normal set ups using a BEC or separate ignition battery.
The modification is making two shorts across solder points on the board and then cutting the "power in" wires.
Snapshot_20151113.JPG
Snapshot_20151113_1.JPG