• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Joe Hunt

150cc
Sweet, another of Joe's assembly threads. Subscribed.

I'm trying over here. haha

I usually run DUBRO TL tread lights, but these included Pilot tires look good to me (even though Xpress said I might ought want to swap them out):
20151022_024340.jpg
The ARF comes with sideforce generators and I'll definitely be trying these out:
20151022_024456.jpg
A bunch of connector safety clips are included:
20151022_024636.jpg
Titanium pushrods (these save you a bunch of money) with balljoints already installed on them:
20151022_024959.jpg
The included tailwheel looks like it would work great to me. It is a direct drive unit:
20151022_025339.jpg
An included DA style fuel dot, too. Nice savings there, too:
20151022_025453.jpg

thurmma

150cc
When I got my 42% Edge the wheels that came with it had aluminum hubs with brass bushings, much beefier than what those look like. They were dead after half a season. I have since been using White Rose Eng tires and wheels and I haven't had to replace a set of bushings yet, although I may do it this year seeing as how it has been 1 1/2 years since the wheels were new :)

Spats

100cc
After building 7 of this same plane and about another bunches of Pilot planes here is what my experience is; The wheels make good book ends, Tailwheel is a great back stored in the trailer, the ball joints are fine on 50cc or smaller but the recycled plastic starts to wear on the ball and flutter begins. I have a collection of Pilot fuel tanks in a box somewhere. The plane itself is fantastic. Fly's better for me than most any other 40% or other brand for that matter. Needs to be a slight tail heavy. I have used the DA 170 on it but lacks power for me. The GP is what was on all of mine. The ZDZ is heaven:mario-banana: A DA 200 is too heavy for just a bit m ore power imo.

All that said I know you will make this an awesome plane no matter what Joe:brian-banana:

BTW this plane is the most stable harrier plane in the world!!!!

Joe Hunt

150cc
Tailwheel OK if you don't do a lot of farming, otherwise white rose is your animal. Wheels keep an eye on them, rim lifespan is sporadic.

With white rose you are adding some weight, too, yeah? That's what is nice about Rocco's tailwheels... they may look flimsy but they are less than an ounce! :) This one from Tony looks closer in weight (but probably less than) the white rose, but looks reasonably stout. If I remember right I was wishing my white rose had a little more height for harrier landings (keep the rudder off the ground)? It was a solid tailwheel though, well built and engineered, but I think the height was making me want to try some of the other 3rd party tailwheels, too. ???

Joe Hunt

150cc
The wheels are made of plastic which have a super hard rubber tread. Probably be fine on a 50cc or smaller but these big heavy airplanes will kill them quick.

Yeah, I guess I have always had bad experiences with the hard tires. These look cool so it makes me want to try them. haha Rocco's foam tires (even lighter than the DUBRO TLs I like) are holding up great on the big Yak55. Those are ultra soft.

Joe Hunt

150cc
When I got my 42% Edge the wheels that came with it had aluminum hubs with brass bushings, much beefier than what those look like. They were dead after half a season. I have since been using White Rose Eng tires and wheels and I haven't had to replace a set of bushings yet, although I may do it this year seeing as how it has been 1 1/2 years since the wheels were new :)

Those look cool, really cool with that little brake on there painted the color of your plane. Ha! They're a little heavier than DUBRO TLs, right? I can't remember... help me, I'm old. haha Pricey too, right? But, they look nice.

Joe Hunt

150cc
After building 7 of this same plane

Damn, I need you to come over (you're close, I'm just saying! haha) for one day and we'll knock this thing right out! I have beer! lol

The wheels make good book ends, Tailwheel is a great back stored in the trailer, the ball joints are fine on 50cc or smaller but the recycled plastic starts to wear on the ball and flutter begins. I have a collection of Pilot fuel tanks in a box somewhere. The plane itself is fantastic. Fly's better for me than most any other 40% or other brand for that matter. Needs to be a slight tail heavy. I have used the DA 170 on it but lacks power for me. The GP is what was on all of mine. The ZDZ is heaven:mario-banana: A DA 200 is too heavy for just a bit m ore power imo.

That is some good info, right there! Okay, my favorite saying is "a word to the wise is sufficient." So, I won't run the tires! haha Toss the balljoints, too, huh? Okay, I'll replace them with DUBROs. I've had some offbrand ball links snap in two, but never a DUBRO. Was looking forward to not doing any plumbing (crazy Smok'n Joe McBride took my H9 Sukhoi included fuel tank out of the box and didn't inspect it or anything and is running it in his Carden DOD :O lol). But, okay, I'll put together another PSP/Fiji tank. :) Slightly tailheavy? With a DA-170 on the nose would you go push/pull on the rudder instead of pull/pull? Probably going 2 servos per elevator half, as well (four elevator servos total). With four elevator servos would I be tailheavy enough with pull/pull? Did you run the DA-170 on RE3 pipes? Joe (is everyone in my life named Joe? When the phone rings if I say, "what's happen'n Joe?" I'll have the name right 90% of the time! haha) doesn't have a 180 for me. :/

BTW this plane is the most stable harrier plane in the world!!!!

For me that would be the Carden 40% Edge 540 and the Aeroworks 122" Yak55M! The two easiest planes to harrier and torque roll I've ever owned. I cannot get a wing to tip on either plane. Sounds like this one is the same!

Thank you very much (and the rest of you) for all the details about your experiences with this plane! And, Spats, when are you coming over? haha