• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot RC 122" Extra 330SC

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I was using this LiFe pack in my radio while I was doing plane setup. At a certain point the radio told me the battery voltage was at the warning level. I pulled it out and charged it as you can see. Is that normal for LiFe packs to still be going until their full rated mah?

View attachment 45240
1877mah into a 1900mah pack. Something seems really wrong about that.

Joe Hunt

150cc
Capture from the cell phone video... pretty amazing these cell phones:

cell video capture_01.jpg

Joe Hunt

150cc
Yup, what is your low voltage cutoff set to? For 2S A123's it should be like 6.4 or so.

Whatever is stock on the 14SG. The wild part to me is that the battery did not die. I turned it off when the alarm sounded. It could have kept going. Presumably for another 23mah. haha I guess you can't over discharge a LiFe?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Whatever is stock on the 14SG. The wild part to me is that the battery did not die. I turned it off when the alarm sounded. It could have kept going. Presumably for another 23mah. haha I guess you can't over discharge a LiFe?

I suggest you do some research on the discharge curve of the LiFe. Likely by the time you reached low voltage you were probably minutes to seconds to dead. They hold a constant voltage for a loooooooooonnnnnnnggggg time and then the voltage drops like a rock. Also don't want to hate up on your brand of LiFe pack but those don't have a real great track record.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I suggest you do some research on the discharge curve of the LiFe. Likely by the time you reached low voltage you were probably minutes to seconds to dead. They hold a constant voltage for a loooooooooonnnnnnnggggg time and then the voltage drops like a rock. Also don't want to hate up on your brand of LiFe pack but those don't have a real great track record.

I'm with Terry on the brand thing. While I've never had any real problems with mine, I did recently swap it for a Glacier and the mah per flight dropped by a fair amount in the Trex 550 helicopter it was in. I prefer to run an A123, but the shape of the LiFe fits better.

BalsaDust

I run the Gforce life packs from value hobbies and have had great success on my nitro birds and my carden cap and my transmitter. Mind you I try to run them down no more than 30-35% before I recharge them.