• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have tried a few different methods, shoe goe, RC56 and CA each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Right now I like CA it is the most dangerous but if done very fearfully it works the best for me.
I have used foam safe CA on window panels such as on Cub sides. There is not a lot of mounting room, might just tape it all off and use Goop as the stuff sticks to anything and is indestructible. Working on a method of getting the frame affixed to the fuse, did the ARF style on the rear and the front will just be a couple slide through pins/dowels.

Last edited:

ace 7038

30cc
Just a thought, I have done this on a couple planes, and I will give credit to Ken Baker of D & B Engines as he gave me the idea, put the canopy on over top of your monocoat/ultracote/whatever, and then us car pin striping to follow around the bottom of the canopy so that half the width of the pin striping is on the canopy and half on the covering. You can use he same color as the covering on the plane or use a different color to break it up. I thought it would jut blow off when the plane got flying but I can atest to the first time I tried this the plane only flew for 4:13. according to my radio timer. and the canopy was still fastened to what was left of the airframe after it furrowed into a bean field...lesson to be learned from this incident was don't do range checks at 100% radio signal, or when you buy a newer radio read the entire manual don't assume it is the same as your old one, just with more channels....

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Just a thought, I have done this on a couple planes, and I will give credit to Ken Baker of D & B Engines as he gave me the idea, put the canopy on over top of your monocoat/ultracote/whatever, and then us car pin striping to follow around the bottom of the canopy so that half the width of the pin striping is on the canopy and half on the covering. You can use he same color as the covering on the plane or use a different color to break it up. I thought it would jut blow off when the plane got flying but I can atest to the first time I tried this the plane only flew for 4:13. according to my radio timer. and the canopy was still fastened to what was left of the airframe after it furrowed into a bean field...lesson to be learned from this incident was don't do range checks at 100% radio signal, or when you buy a newer radio read the entire manual don't assume it is the same as your old one, just with more channels....
I've used the same method with Blenderm tape. The nice thing is it's easy to remove the canopy if you ever need to.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I would suggest not using CA on a giant scale canopy. It's too hard and can cause the canopy to crack. Some say the CA itself makes the plastic more brittle. RC56, now Formula 560, works well, and stays a little flexible. Goop would probably work great. On another guys advice I used it to hold the cowl ring in the fiberglass cowl on my scratch build Miss Moana, and it worked awesome. He had me put it in a big syringe to make it easier to apply.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have done that on smaller planes. I believe this is to large for such but the canopy is also part of the fuse, similar to the way ARF's are made with the canopy hatch.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I would suggest not using CA on a giant scale canopy. It's too hard and can cause the canopy to crack. Some say the CA itself makes the plastic more brittle. RC56, now Formula 560, works well, and stays a little flexible. Goop would probably work great. On another guys advice I used it to hold the cowl ring in the fiberglass cowl on my scratch build Miss Moana, and it worked awesome. He had me put it in a big syringe to make it easier to apply.
I agree with everything you said and will probably use the Goop. On one of the pics of the old and new bench, front right corner, there is a box of syringes and filler needles. They be bought really cheap on eBay, ten cents a piece or something like that.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One like this is what I used.

hcar3785.jpg

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I use the plain syringe, a box of 100 syringes are about ten bucks and 100 tips for about the same.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 230
  • s-l16001.jpg
    s-l16001.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 206