Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Pitts S1-T, S1-S, and a Challenger.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by acerc, Apr 27, 2015.

1. The right side of the rudder has been covered and the rudder side hinges installed, the stab and ele's have also been hinged. On to the wings while that cures.

Attached Files:

• 72.JPG
      72.JPG
      File size:
      220 KB
      Views:
    Jetpainter, Snoopy1 and pawnshopmike like this.
  2. OMG! Two hours to cover on half of one wing, I hate this stuff. I am seriously considering yanking this off and doing my beloved Stits….

Attached Files:

3. And another half. Now I am going to back up and cover the other sides of the Stab, ele, and rudder.

Attached Files:

Jetpainter and Snoopy1 like this.
  4. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    I know exactly how you feel I remember after I had covered many planes with Stits and did a Ultracote covering job again it was agonizing the the Stits covering spoiled you plastic covering is not as forgiving and does not shrink as well, you just have to keep working at it you will get there eventually.
    I just covered the bottom section of my 20cc profile today, black I think is the most difficult colour to cover with it is hard to see the fine details. And yes it is Ultracote. And it took me most of the day I am ashamed to say I am sloooooow.

5. I am starting to get the hang of it again Snoop, it is still time consuming but getting easier or better at working the radii.
    The bottom wing stabs, ele's, and rudder are done, for now, the silver stripe with black trim will come when everything is ready for it at one time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. After a couple day's delay the top wing halves are done. Currently working on getting a side piece fitted, once it is I will use it to cut the one for the other side. I would like to at least get the right side covered and glue on the rudder before calling it a day.

Attached Files:

Snoopy1, Jetpainter and pawnshopmike like this.
  7. I managed to get the right side covered but during the shrinking a seam pulled nearly apart. Then I noticed the covering had pulled the ply where the canopy sets. So I yanked it back off and added some vertical balsa strips to reinforce the deck. When I ordered this covering I did not take into account the bottom of the bottom wing was black but would have made it with what I had if not for the screwup. I'll go get another roll in the morning. Stay tuned. LOL!!
    And no, no pick's….

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    Jetpainter likes this.
  8. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    That is coming along nicely. Looks like we will both be finishing about the same time.

acerc likes this.
  9. I am hoping to be painting by mid week, then final check assembly, install of flying wires, and baffle engine. Maybe by the weekend be done, but I won't count on it.

Jetpainter and Snoopy1 like this.
  10. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Hopefully the covering will be done by tomorrow. Then some assembly. Have wait for some parts through the mail and my daughter will Bring the rest at Christmas for me .

acerc likes this.