• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I mentioned in my introduction that I was currently building a giant scale P-51D. A couple of my new GSN friends asked me to do a build thread. I don't know that I can actually do a decent thread as there are so many different techniques that will result in the same or better results. Maybe you can learn as much from my missteps as you can from anything that I actually do well.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Here's a little bit about the plans. This plane is a revision of the old Bud Nosen P-51. It has a wingspan of 104" and has a projected weight in the 30+ pound range. Power range is pretty wide with G62 providing marginal power up to a Quadra 100. I think there are several inline twins that would be awesome including the kolm 100 or the RotoMotor 85. But, I'll be using the DLE 85. In fact I've already ordered it from Valley View ( who I highly recommend) and it should arrive on Tuesday.

I'll give some more on the specs when I go out to the shop and I'm not doing it from memory. Seattle and Green Bay are about to play so I'm going to be kinda torn between my activities on this Sunday afternoon.

WMcNabb

150cc
Sub'd. Picked up a set of plans for a 1/5 scale P-51B from Jerry Bates last year and trying to finish everything else before starting it.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
SUB, I'm chicken to build a warbird kit just yet......aerobatic planes are easy compared to those.
There's no reason not to give it a go. The ARF aerobatics planes are easy to assemble and easy to fly, generally speaking. But, a well balanced warbird is not that much more difficult than a common sport airplane. But, I sure understand what you're talking about.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
I can't believe the packers lost that game. The most blatant example of thinking you've got the game won and then calling plays designed not to lose, instead of continuing to play to win. Seattle raced through the rain and on to the Super Bowl. Good job Seahawks! (even though I was pulling for the Pack). Oh, well. That's why you play the game.

The first thing in building this plane is to put together the sides. At first it was a little confusing because there's no templates for the side parts which are assembled using 3/16x3x36 inch balsa. You just have to make measurements off the plans and then replicate the pieces. There are 9 per side. What you end up with is a flat side that looks like the picture. I didn't start this thread until I had already finished this part of the construction. I think you can see most of the pieces. Be aware that if you build this plane, these plans are not what you would expect from Hostettler or Ziroli. They are revised kit plans and therefore lack some of the clarity that you would expect from a designer. But they're pretty good with some building tips written next to some of the troublesome areas. There's also a set of instructions, but again, theyre helpful but not Great Planes or Sig.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Once the sides are built, if you haven't already done so, you have make the formers. It's my experience that you're better off to make a kit of all the necessary pieces before you start construction. Seeing the pieces beforehand will answer some of your questions before you get bogged down. But, if you're like me, I want to see stuff happening, so I make all the parts for a subassembly. That's kinda like following my own advice.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
If you look closely you can tell that F6 is made from 1/8th aircraft grade plywood. But the other formers south of F6 are built up using 3/16x 1 1/2 balsa. It's a unique approach, but works pretty well.