• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Plans built P-51

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
Warbird. Gunfighter II. It's a beautiful plane that's still flying the arishow circuit. In fact I've got a picture of me and my grandson sitting in the cockpit. What a great memory.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
do those plans show P-51B parts also?

always wanted to do a Bud Nosen Mustang as B/C finished like Charles F Blair's Excalibur III

deliveryService

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19530088000

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Here's the business end showing the installation of the plywood side-doubler (MS). I've laminated F1 and am waiting for it to dry. The instructions say to have the engine on hand because it's critical that the 2 sides stay absolutely square while bending them around F1 which is round. Right now I'm in pretty good shape.image.jpg
That's my 6 year old grand son holding the square. He said this is the most fun he's had all day!! Papa is so happy!

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Making a compound curve out of a square piece is a difficult task, and one that if you're not careful, could result in fracturing the sheeting. The plans call for making 1/16 inch deep cuts in the side sheeting to facilitate the bending process. I did this on the tail and it didn't work out too well. I've got a lot of work to do to fix that mess. What I plan to do this time is to make the cuts, but before I try to bend it, I'm going to soak it in an ammonia solution to try to soften it up a bit. That's not going to happen until tomorrow, so if you have another idea, I'd sure love to hear about it.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Here's what I use for stripping balsa. It's just a small piece of 1 by, that I dressed on my bench sander and then rounded the edges. That's just a #11 x-acto blade and a couple of servo screws to hold it where I want it. Very simple, very useful.

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
image.jpg
Heres F1, rough cut and ready to finish sanding to get the curve right. That's what the front side pieces have to form to.
Come on guys, it's been a couple of hours and nobody has come up with a procedure for helping with the bend.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
This should be an awesome build. Maybe it will motivate me to dig out the Don Smith and get to building on it. Hmmm.....