Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by TonyHallo, Jan 5, 2019.

   
  1. Snoopy1

    Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

    6,099
    8,343
    113
    Canada
    Sorry to hear that it is specially hard to except on first flight. This past Wednesday I lost my Havoc on the maiden flight three minutes in and all of a sudden no control plane is to fast a little to far and the next thing I was into the ground at a good clip of speed. The elevator servo was dead. Plane gone total distraction. It happens.
     
  2. Sorry to hear about your problem as well.
    I did find a RC Guys Cessna 150 Aerobat at AMR RC in stock. I called RC Guys and Dan said the factory in China that made their planes closed up and the planes are no longer available. AMR had three 150's in stock. should be here on Monday. The Cessna will get married to the floats as they sustained little damage. Another build for the future.
     
    dhal22 likes this.
  3. AKNick

    AKNick 150cc

    2,346
    3,780
    113
    Alaska
    It's nice to figure these things out for a piece of mind. This is the reason I've turned away from deans all together. It's hard to imagine four flat surfaces making a perfect connection polished or not as the springs don't make contact with the other tab. I've seen quite a few with uneven wear. But yes, the genuine Deans are much higher quality, I don't think they hold a candle to the AMASS XT60's or CC polarized 4.5mm connectors for that size rating... even the EC3's are a better option I think.
    I gave my Icon A5 to a buddy, he was flying it last night when one flap decided to dump full deflection. Very strange, must have had water damage or something. It's never pretty when a float plane hits the water!
     
  4. It is amazing how hard water can be!!

    Back to work!!! I have the wings about ready to cover, servos mounted, linkage complete, etc. I decided to use the original Steward System paint for the project and was even happier when I discovered they have the original colors available. I ordered a quart of yellow and a pint of orange to start. I hope to paint the wings and then determine if I will need more yellow to finish the fuselage. I'm sure the pint of orange will do for the bottom of the fuselage.
    For the N numbers and other scale markings I plan to use http://www.aerographics.com/catalog.php. They can cut the graphics to any scale. I'm hoping their bright orange is a close match to the 7AC orange. I have a color sample here, I need to open the can and check. If not I will get them to cut paint masks and spray the numbers.
    IMG_0811.JPG
     
    dhal22, WMcNabb and pawnshopmike like this.
  5. Started putting the fabric down. Using Steward Systems Ecobond to attach the Stits lite fabric. Water based, no odor which is nice. Brush on two coats of Ecobond allowing it dry, then using an iron at 225F, iron the fabric in place. Very much the same as Stits. For the strut fittings I ironed the fabric around the perimeter, did a light shrink, painted the fabric where the fitting where sticking up with Ecobond, allowed it dry, then cut the slits with a double edged razor blade. After all the fabric is attached to the ribs and leading edge, a coat of Ecobond is painted onto the glued areas and immediately wiped off, this finishes the gluing process.
    I did the bottom of one wing last night. The wings are under cambered, the bottom is shrunk to 250F and glued. Appears to be well bonded to the ribs.
    Here's the top of the left wing ready for fabric. I'm wrapping the fabric around the leading edge rather than using the two piece blanket method.
    IMG_0840.JPG
     
    WMcNabb, AKNick and pawnshopmike like this.
  6. AKNick

    AKNick 150cc

    2,346
    3,780
    113
    Alaska
    Beautiful structure work and it's super exciting to see the covering go on. The key to success with Stewart System is controlling the humidity environment. Very good/friendly product being water based, haven't seen too many modelers use it in place of the MEK based PolyFiber.
     
  7. Well I'm working in my air conditioned basement, about 62 F. It about the same as Poly Fiber, less stink.
     
  8. The top of the wing went on well. All the fabric is attached and shrunk to 250 F. IMG_0841.JPG
     
    -Rick- and pawnshopmike like this.
  9. The service manual states a new and simplified method of attaching the covering to the ribs is used on the Champion. 3/4" tape is laid over the fabric and ribs and fastened in place with #4 screws and washers over which 2" tape is laid.
    I used 1/2" tape, #0 pan head screws and washers, and laid 3/4" tape on top. I have about 80 screws in and a long way to go. The spacing is 1 1/8" outside the prop blast area and 7/8" in the prop blast area.

    IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
     
  10. WMcNabb

    WMcNabb 150cc

    1,546
    3,208
    113
    TN, USA
    Very Nice!!
     
Loading...

Share This Page