• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry, I do not have any tips there. Just a couple friends that recovered their airplanes with the Stewart system. What little I learned is from their experience, and I've only done repairs with poly fiber. I don't know the correct spacing either, it makes sense that they would use tighter spacing on something in turbulent air like a control surface.
I looked up the Stewart manual and they mostly reference any spacing data from the AC43.13 1B, however they do mention EkoBond on page 37 and talk about diluting it and also using isopropyl alcohol as cleanup and prep before it's cured. I wonder if there was too much excess EkoBond? Sounds like it can be pushed through the fabric weave as well... doesn't sound sightly, also sanding with 320 grit... hmm
https://stewartsystems.aero/wp-content/uploads/Rev-4-Procedure-Manual-July-2019-compressed-copy.pdf

Sorry not much help

TonyHallo

150cc
The problem areas are where several layers overlap. Consider the trailing edge, two light coats onto the edge, attach the bottom fabric, another coat of Ecobond, attach the top fabric, another light coat of Ecobond and the perimeter tape.
The Ecobond works much like Stits after the Poly Brush is on, you can use the iron to smooth out the lumps, this when the goobers appear. You know when the iron starts getting sticky and it's to hot to clean with MEK. Working with thin fabric doesn't help matters either.
All in all I'm happy with the results and developing procedures for improving. I took the completed left wing to our club meeting tonight and got many comments
And yes your "not much help" was help. I know I need to figure it out rather than thinking there must be a better way that I don't know about. I'm pretty much doing what is shown on the Steward System videos.
One thing about the Stits Process is that it is reversible with MEK. I haven't found anything yet that melts dried Ecobond the way MEK melts Poly Tac and Brush.
The 1/3 scale inspection rings arrived today, they are nice but may be a little larger than what is installed on the planes that I have collected photos of, need to do more research. The service from I Fly Talies was fast.

Sorry for rambling tonight.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Sure is a lot of information out there, yet so hard to find what you're looking for! Seems to me you're safe either direction. You can always call Stewart Systems and ask them.

TonyHallo

150cc
Started covering the right wing tonight just in time for the RNC convention! It took a while to finish tape the left aileron because the hinge leafs were replaced. I hit both of them while finish sanding and put flat spots on the knuckles. Look better now.
Also while surfing the Steward web site found this eraser for removing unwanted Ekobond glue. I tried the eraser on a pencil and it worked fine, I think i'll look to see what I can find at Staples, I thinking one of those soft white colored eraser will do the trick.
IMG_0858.JPG
Eraser.jpeg

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
Let the screwing begin!!! Started screwing the bottom of the right wing yesterday morning. worked a few minutes here and there while the grandsons were here, 45 minutes last night and after a hour this morning finished the bottom. Found this drill at the Tanger Outlets in Myrtle Beach two weeks ago for $25.00, 12 volt LIPO battery, bought a second one just to have two batteries. It's a reconditioned but gets the job done. Just the right size for model building, really doesn't take much to drill .050" holes in 1/8'" spruce!. Made up story poles to lay out the screw spacing, one side is the 2 1/2" scale spacing and the other is the 3 1/2" scale spacing.
IMG_0864.JPG

Did find the soft white erasers at Staples, it does work very well for removing glue goobers without damaging the fabric.
IMG_0867.JPG

And finally I modified the screwdriver attachment, made it a little longer, made the fits a little tighter, and knurled the body. Works better now, one side to go.
IMG_0865.JPG

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Was at the beach (in Myrtle Beach) this spring for a week. Was pleasantly surprised considering I have decades of experience on the calm pure white beaches of the Gulf of Mexico/west side of Florida. The surf was a pleasant change of pace. Thousands and thousands of spring breakers type of beachgoers. Much wilder than the west coast of Florida.

TonyHallo

150cc
I got the right wing just about complete. The fabric weave get filled with Ecobond thinned with 25% water. After the Ecobond fill coat dries, the fabric sounds much like Monokote over the open bays, kind of a tinny sound. I put 13 inspection ring on each wing. I tried to use photos to locate the rings but there are too many variations. I used the wing drawing in the service manual and located the rings where I thought one would inspect. The rings are glued on with Ecobond. In the bottom photo, the Ecobond is still wet. I might just get the wings painted next week. Will see how the filler primer coat goes.

IMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0870.JPG

WMcNabb

150cc
I got the right wing just about complete. The fabric weave get filled with Ecobond thinned with 25% water. After the Ecobond fill coat dries, the fabric sounds much like Monokote over the open bays, kind of a tinny sound. I put 13 inspection ring on each wing. I tried to use photos to locate the rings but there are too many variations. I used the wing drawing in the service manual and located the rings where I thought one would inspect. The rings are glued on with Ecobond. In the bottom photo, the Ecobond is still wet. I might just get the wings painted next week. Will see how the filler primer coat goes.

View attachment 115584 View attachment 115585
Looks great!! Nice work!