Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

    Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by TonyHallo, Jan 5, 2019.

   
  1. AKNick

    AKNick 150cc

    2,468
    3,996
    113
    Alaska
    Looks extremely well, bravo!
     
  2. Thank you Nick.
    I put the windshield in a mixture of water, vinegar, and two bottles of Rite synthetic green dye. The only container big enough was the base of a small shop vacuum. Theres about three gallon of water, two and half cups of vinegar. There is a small heater under the base maintaining about 100f. Don't tell my wife I'm using the meat thermometer!!!! After 5 1/2 hours little if any tint can be seen, I'll leave it in overnight and see what happens. I'm thinking that PETG will not take dye.
    UPDATE
    Removed the windshield after 24 hours, no tint. PETG will not tint with Rite dye.
    IMG_0987.JPG
     
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Stevendavis, AKNick and dhal22 like this.
  3. The front tubes were laid out on the bench. For the top 'W" shape glass cloth was rolled into a Tootsie Roll and slide into the tubes, thin CA was applied to the joint. Starting from the middle, each joint was completed and the assembly was removed and additional CA squirted into the tube to ensure the glass cloth was saturated. For the tubes that form each "Y", a 3/16" hole was drilled into the joint and short 3/16 wood dowel was used with JB Weld. The assembly was fit in place. At each connection with the fuselage, a servo screw was installed and the head was removed, with the fuselage upside down, the top joints were glued with JB weld. Tomorrow one of the side joint will be glued so that gravity is working on my side.
    IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0995.JPG
     
    AKNick, dhal22, WMcNabb and 1 other person like this.
  4. Cut out the aluminum dash today. The gauges were located based on the three view drawing. At the joint were the boot cowl meets the dash, a 1/8" lip was left on the the boot cowl, this was rolled over the dash aluminum with a wall paper roller to finish the joint.
    I ordered a gauge set from I Fly Tallies however I learned this morning that the 3d printer is down so the delivery is delayed until after 10/31/20. Oh well.
    Onto the seats.
    IMG_0990.JPG
     
    Stevendavis, AKNick, -Rick- and 4 others like this.
  5. dhal22

    dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

    What a great build thread.
     
    AKNick and TonyHallo like this.
  6. Thank you dhal.
    Found this photo on Ebay sometime ago. Figured it would be great reference since a wood measuring stick was included in the photo. There were seven or eight photos that were saved.
    Aeronca-7-Series-Champ-Seat-Frame-_57.jpg Ordered 36" long KS 1/4" tube to make the frame. The first try yielded a usable frame with only one joint, took two more tries to get the second frame made. Used JB Weld to glue everything together including the diagonal braces.
    IMG_0963.JPG
    The seats will rotate about the front tube, I hope to place the batteries and switches under the seats. At least that is the current plan.
    Looking for suitable webbing for the frames.
    IMG_1002.JPG
     
    Stevendavis, -Rick-, WMcNabb and 2 others like this.
  7. AKNick

    AKNick 150cc

    2,468
    3,996
    113
    Alaska
    Seriously! @TonyHallo when looking at your pictures, there is so much attention to detail in your craftmanship from fixtures to building I am impressed. It's total eye candy to me.

    As far as the window tinting goes, there is a thread floating around here somewhere... Use Automotive Taillight Tint in an aerosol form as it's meant to adhere to plastic. Probably cannot get the greenish tint you're looking for though.
    Looking on the interwebs I found where someone have success with using iDyePoly for PETG that wouldn't take RIT dye.
     
  8. Thanks Nick, found a video using idyepoly on PETG, ordered 4 packs from JoAnn Fabrics, should be here soon. I like to have all the interior completed before I cover the fuselage, not sure what will get painted first, the outside or the inside, thinking I will paint the interior and mask it off while painting the exterior. I just might paint the aluminum pieces and the cowl while I'm waiting the for gauges. Thinking of finishing the interior in a light gray like the plane below and the first photo shows the tinting level I'm looking for.
    5699557.jpg

    5744073.jpg
     
    Stevendavis, dhal22 and pawnshopmike like this.
  9. dhal22

    dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1


    All of this work is quite a few steps in front of my Cub build, which is perfect as I need ideas occasionally.
     
  10. Not a very productive day, wasted most of the day watching football, of course had a few beers as well.
    Made the fuel tank out of a half liter Fuji water bottle, the top of the bottle sticks out of the firewall, short enough to be hidden under the dash. The brass tubes are soldered to a brass disc captured under the cap. It will be sealed with Sealall and leak tested in a bucket of water. Viton tubing so it should be maintenance free. Don't expect the 85 Four stroke to use much fuel, thinking about an ounce per minute a full power, 16 ounce should provide 15 minutes.
    Running out of work, may buy a sewing machine, learn how to sew and make the seat cushions.

    IMG_1004.JPG IMG_1005.JPG
     
    -Rick-, Stevendavis, dhal22 and 3 others like this.
Loading...

Share This Page