Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

    We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!


Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by TonyHallo, Jan 5, 2019.

  1. dhal22

    dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

    This is going to be fun to watch.
    Alky6 and Jetpainter like this.
  2. BalsaDust

    BalsaDust Moderator

    is the outside diameter of the tubing a true 3/8"
  3. TonyHallo

    TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

    Yes the tube OD is the stated size, not like pipe. The 1/2" tube was .493" , didn't measure the 3/8" yet, it will be very close to .375". Need to bend around 1 1/2" radius
  4. BalsaDust

    BalsaDust Moderator

    Might be able to use a bender for hydraulic tubing.
  5. TonyHallo

    TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

    There was an old hand wheel off the mill-drill that looks to be the right diameter so a bender is in the future.

    A fixture was made to hold the 1/4" tube for the main strut in the lathe, end mills were used to put both fish mouth cuts, the fit was perfect. IMG_2299.JPG
  6. TonyHallo

    TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

    A 5/8" round bad was cut to length and drilled and tapped for 4-40 screw to hold the short piece of 1/4" tube in place while silver soldering, this kept everything in proper alignment.
    Two magnets were used to hold the tube in place while the 1/4" tube was silver soldered to the 5/8" tube, then the top joint was silver soldered, finally 1/16" sheet steel reinforce was added. This is when I learned that magnets loose their magnetism when heated above a certain temperature, I almost had the reinforcement tacked in when it fell out! I have several shifts on these struts already and still need to make the trailing links. The parts below are cleaned and fluxed, ready for heat.
    IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2297.JPG
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Jetpainter, Alky6, dhal22 and 2 others like this.
  7. TonyHallo

    TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

    Wasn't happy with the cabin roof so it was cut apart and re-glued. This time package tape was used for release rather than wax paper, it seemed to work out better. The wax paper kept tearing. IMG_2303.JPG IMG_2302.JPG
  8. Alky6

    Alky6 150cc

    FWIW, I’ve found parchment paper to work much better than wax paper. Build is looking amazing. Very impressed with your work.
    Jetpainter and BalsaDust like this.
  9. Snoopy1

    Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

    The wing is a work of art it’s a pity that it will all be covered up.
    Jetpainter, Alky6 and dhal22 like this.
  10. TonyHallo

    TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

    Thanks, will try parchment paper in the future. The packaging tape worked well, the wings are separated and slide in freely once the packing tape was removed.

    Can't wait to get the Stits on it!

Share This Page