Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by TonyHallo, Jan 5, 2019.

1. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

Well the main struts are complete. IMG_2310.JPG

BalsaDust, WMcNabb, dhal22 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

what's the process for silver soldering steel parts together so that it's structural? i've used it on wire wrapped landing gear parts but never knew it would be used like brazing to hold stuff together without it being wire bound. Thanks! Great work, I'm ready to throw all my half assed **** away and just watch you artisan builders do your thing! lol

dhal22 likes this.
  3. Bartman

Bartman Defender of the Noob!

Beautiful work, really just beautiful. :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Have to agree with you Stits is the only way to go, got info 3D two years ago and have building with Ultrcoat and really don’t like it the only thing going for it is that is lighter and quicker, and you can finish a plane during the winter months.

5. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

The solder used for wire wrapping is called silver bearing solder, it has a low percentage of solder, trade name Stay Bright. What I call silver soldering is actually silver brazing, it melts at a slightly lower temperature than bronze brazing rod, sorry for the confusion. The rod begins to melt just as the steel begins to show visible light. You can see the melting temperatures on the chart below. You need to get the metal hotter to flow a bronze brazing rod and light gauge parts can get over heated. The beauty of silver brazing is a propane torch is all you need.

[​IMG]

Bartman and dhal22 like this.
  6. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

If you elect to use Steward Systems you can finish in the house since it is water based. Only problem is that it is not shipped in winter months due to freezing. I love the smell of MEK anyway!!!!

Alky6 and Snoopy1 like this.
  7. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

One of the negative aspects of being retired is that now I must pay for copies of drawings. Had the 8 1/2" x 11" blown up 400% today for a total of $7.60, not bad. It will be easier scaling the elevator rib spacing since the drawing doesn't match the full scale.
    IMG_2319.JPG

Snoopy1 likes this.
  8. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

Made up a bender for the trailing link today from scrap metal.
    IMG_2314.JPG
    And it worked!
    IMG_2318.JPG
    The tube on the axle side was drilled with a F letter drill and 1/4" round bar was inserted into the tube before bending just in case any flattening occurred, but it did not.
    IMG_2316.JPG
    Just a few more steps and the landing gear will be complete, thank goodness!!! Running out of things to do, still waiting on the spruce shipment from Aircraft Spruce. Can cut out a few bulkheads but hate to get too far ahead of the build , things don't always match the drawing as the build progresses.

WMcNabb, pawnshopmike, Alky6 and 2 others like this.
  9. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Know the feeling being retired does have some drawbacks. I had access to a complete printing facility and cad drafting office sure miss it.

Alky6 and Bartman like this.
  10. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

There is a lot of really awesome workmanship in this thread, thanks for sharing it with us.!