• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Restoring The Yak

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok, just a little update. Had to wait for a cowl as there were no cowls in the scheme I chose available. One was painted up to match the scheme and is now ready to ship. Got an update last night from Dolly of Pilot....(Awesome little gal).....all parts present and accounted for. I imagine they will ship first thing Monday morning. Which means, I can now start moving forward on this project. (See? I told ya'll this wasn't going to be a quick one...LOL)

Definitely decided on the 3W quad CS. It has been purchased and will ship soon. Although I have changed up my setup just a tad, I think it is going to be better than I had planned before. "Note to self:" Order Falcon CF Prop. LOL

Although I had planned to start stripping the fuse by this time, work in a town 300 miles away has kept me pretty burned out by the time I get home for a one day rest before hitting it again. Plus, too many other priorities that needed my attention. Sooo....Next weekend, slate is clean and no previous obligations or expectations from anyone. Next Saturday, I start stripping. (The Plane).....:laughing:

DSC04721.JPG
DSC04722.JPG

I'm thinking the White Rose mains are going to offset in the Spats quite nicely. May have to dream up an "accent" on them.

As for the cowl? Only one thing is going to dress that pretty, shiny gorgeous looking round thing. That is going to be the beautiful 4 cylinder RED JUGGED devil motor inside. Oh my, this is going to be so much fun.
DSC04723.JPG
DSC04724.JPG
DSC04725.JPG

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Real quick update. Received notice late last night all parts and covering have been shipped. Should arrive soon. I also ordered the rudder servo's I will be using. They will arrive middle of next week. Got the prop on pre order status until I double check info. Only things left to order will be TDRC multiplex plugs and harnesses. Oh yeah, and a bad ass TDRC fuel tank.
:yesss:
^^^:)What he said. And Rob if you:eek: "strip" I'm getting back in the box.........to hide:laughing:.
I will be stripping this weekend for sure. I suppose being in a box is better than closet.

Two days till I'm home and the fun begins.
:woohoo!:

Last edited:
Hey Rob. Lookin nice!:first_place: I have an old EF 74" yak that I'm thinking of restoring. Currently has an OS1.60 glowtard in it so a DlE 30 or maybe a 40cc twin banger:epic: is going in it. Need a new cowl and pants(may go with spats) so looking forward to your "renovation". Hopefully inspire me to move forward on this once I get the 30cent edge 540 done.:big-grin:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Real quick update. Received notice late last night all parts and covering have been shipped. Should arrive soon. I also ordered the rudder servo's I will be using. They will arrive middle of next week. Got the prop on pre order status until I double check info. Only things left to order will be TDRC multiplex plugs and harnesses. Oh yeah, and a bad ass TDRC fuel tank.
:yesss:

I will be stripping this weekend for sure. I suppose being in a box is better than closet.

Two days till I'm home and the fun begins.
:woohoo!:
I'm waiting on the 'my 3W quad is in!!!' update.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Tomorrow is the day and it soon will be here. I am going to start with the fuse first. Tomorrow, I will begin the Yak Restore project. Wow, never thought it would take me this long to get around to it. But as they say, all good things come to those that wait patiently right? Just bugs me that it will be early spring before it is done. Can't believe my employer just doesn't understand priorities the way I do.
:laughing:
More to come... Tomorrow.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
. . . . .all good things come to those that wait patiently right?
:laughing:
More to come... Tomorrow.

Hey Buddy, What does that "patiently" mean? That's a word I'm DEFINITELY not familiar with. . . . . . . :spongebob: Something tells me your boss needs to learn the same lesson mine does. I get to feeling pretty good because I get three projects wrapped up this week, so I walk into my bosses office and tell him I need another project to do. He just looks at me, gets this big grin on his face and proceeds to assign four new projects to me. . . . . :eek: I'm all for our office having plenty of work, because I know there are allot of businesses that are allot worse off than we are, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm off this weekend and my boss tells me to "enjoy it while it lasts". I'll tell ya, some people have a twisted sense of humor . . . . . . . :laughing:

I cannot wait to see your new red head. You know, motors like those are almost too pretty to hide inside a cowl. I bet it's going to pull that Yak around like a kite,

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Buddy, What does that "patiently" mean? That's a word I'm DEFINITELY not familiar with. . . . . . . :spongebob: Something tells me your boss needs to learn the same lesson mine does. I get to feeling pretty good because I get three projects wrapped up this week, so I walk into my bosses office and tell him I need another project to do. He just looks at me, gets this big grin on his face and proceeds to assign four new projects to me. . . . . :eek: I'm all for our office having plenty of work, because I know there are allot of businesses that are allot worse off than we are, but this is getting ridiculous. I'm off this weekend and my boss tells me to "enjoy it while it lasts". I'll tell ya, some people have a twisted sense of humor . . . . . . . :laughing:

I cannot wait to see your new red head. You know, motors like those are almost too pretty to hide inside a cowl. I bet it's going to pull that Yak around like a kite,
No kidding. I mean, "some" people just have no sense of direction. LOL....
I talked to Gerhard yesterday and today. Just basically to get a little information. He tells me he had one on a 52 pound plane and it pulled it unlimited. He told me that if the Yak comes in at the expected weight, (43 to 46 pounds) it should be a rocket. Now, when we all refer to unlimited....I've seen many planes that will do that. But with "what" authority? I told him, I want it ballistic. Is that even possible? LOL.

Although those "b" "e" "a" utiful big red jugs.... will be somewhat hidden....I am going to do what I can to dress up the motor box area that should be appealing to even the most discerning critic. :way_to_go:

Thanks for stopping by David...stay tunned pal.