• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rudder servo arm

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Easy peasy?  I have had many a SWB arm being far from easy to pull off the spline
icon_smile.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ohio.AV8TOR said
Easy peasy?  I have had many a SWB arm being far from easy to pull off the spline
icon_smile.gif
I forget just where, but I saw a servo arm puller listed on a site once. Now where was that? 
topsy_turvy.png

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
stangflyer said
Ohio.AV8TOR said
icon_smile.gif

I forget just where, but I saw a servo arm puller listed on a site once. Now where was that? 
topsy_turvy.png

I want one of them, if you find it please post.  

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Stang thanks for the suggestion of the puller.  I did a little searching and found this by Seacraft and for only $3.50.  Is this like what you saw?  The problem with this is it won't slide on with the cable links on and not even sure if it would slide on an offset arm.  

20130311081530b.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yep..that's the one. (http://www.espritmodel.com/servo-arm-remover-for-v1-secraft-arms.aspx) Not sure if you need to slide in on one end or another, but one would think with the way Seacraft designs their servo arms, they would have taken that into consideration. My thought is: Like many of the automotive style pullers I've used in building motors, you "rock" it from one side to the other over the top of the arm in the center where the servo screw goes. This however I am not sure of. For a mere $3.50, I would be interested to find out. I know that in removing the servo arms from my $150.00 servos, I usually have to pull and wiggle and pull and then they finally pop off. Seems to me that is a lot of unwanted stress on the gear train as well as cases of our high dollar servos. I wonder if they are available yet???

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
That got me thinking and I just might make something that I know will work.  I am going to take some 1" square bar stock ans machine a cutout as wide as necessary to slide in which will make the top half think.  This is great for the extra thickness for threads for the clamp down screw.  Then machine a slot on the bottom so it slides in from the side.  I will draw it up in cad later  and post a picture.  This way the end ball links can remain on if one desires.  

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
I would love to find something like this or maybe I will make one.  This was it can be slid in from the side.  Has anyone seen one like this?  The top hole will be threaded for the clamping/pulling screw force. 

puller.JPG

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ohio.AV8TOR said
I would love to find something like this or maybe I will make one.  This was it can be slid in from the side.  Has anyone seen one like this?  The top hole will be threaded for the clamping/pulling screw force. 

puller.JPG
Awesome idea. It just might be the ticket we all have been wanting. Heck, you might be able to mass produce them for a small profit. Of which will be dedicated solely to the purchase of new planes or parts....!!!!
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

ZRX212

New to GSN!
My 2ct., I install my rudder cable ball links on the bottom of the SWB arm, read somewhere it applies
less leverage to servo gears + bearings :confused??:, yes that means screws in from bottom :frown_gif:, sometimes trying
to remove the metal arm is such a PI:very_angry:, I just remove servo, install hwd., pop back in.