• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Scratch build Laser 200

OK but if you get bored its on you guys LOLOL
I have glued the paper templates on 1/8 plywood, to make it easier to cut, and then I have marked the templates on .080" aluminum which will be the template I will use to hotwire the foam ribs, It takes such a short time to actually cut the ribs but a lot of preparation .

Attachments

• DSC_0356.JPG
    DSC_0356.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 214
the templates are now aluminum for the hotwire, still a bit of work to do on them but coming along, next will be the pieces of 48" x 48" flat boards , to lay out the the contour of the wing panel (1) and lay out the foam blanks for the ribs and then nearly ready to cut, Need to order the balsa for the different parts of the wing such as sheeting , leading edge, trailing edge, same with aileron.
you can also see in two of the pictures the mounting of the motor standoffs, still need to reinforce the firewall to the sides,

Attachments

• DSC_0358.JPG
    DSC_0358.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_0359.JPG
    DSC_0359.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0360.JPG
    DSC_0360.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0361.JPG
    DSC_0361.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 221
Is there any reason why you are using aluminum instead of any other material. Will the aluminum not suck away some of the heat in the wire.

good point , I use a variable transformer so I simply increase the voltage, but the main reason i use aluminum is so the hot wire will not burn little dints in the template, I would have like to use the plywood template , a lot easier to make but if for one reason there is even a short pause in the wire movement, there is a small burn mark, which will show up for the second wing,
I am also counting on the fact that the small contact of the wire to the aluminum templates will have minimal effect, (I hope lol)

TonyHallo

150cc
I have had trouble with aluminum templates in the past, raising the voltage will heat up the rest of the wire as well making the rest of the too hot. There were local cold spots where the wire touched the aluminum which crumbled the foam rather than cutting it. I believe you will be ok if the aluminum is not in contact with the foam, but I expect your templates will be touching the foam. I use Formica for my templates, doesn't melt, sands easy. smooth as silk when sanded with 400 grit. I personally like separate top and bottom templates, the wire is supported for both cuts which you need for foam ribbed wings. The single template works well for foam core wings as long as the blocks are square, then you can flip it over while cutting the bottom. Sorry for the long winded reply and I'm sure you already know this.
IMG_0730.JPG