• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Share your ideas for safe pre-flight and flying

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Another thing to add to ya'll's checklist is to check your carbon wing tubed for any signs of delamination. I rube my hands over it first feeling for any bumps or imperfections. Then try to twist it.

Next I hold it gently between two fingers and let it hang (like a wind chime), lightly tap a fingernail or coin along it and listen. You should here a nice ping or ring sound. Rotate the tube a little and repeat.....doing this several times. If you hear a a dull thump, or no ring.....check closely for any signs of fiber separation or delamination.

I do this after flying before I put the tube back in the bag. If something is amiss, I can take measures to correct (order a new one) before the next outing.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I am one that is left handed and I do as Dennis said. I have the prop at around the 8 o'clock position making me swing the prop from underneath the cowl. It's iust what feels natural to me but I have been told at the field before I'm doing it wrong.

My biggest pet peeve with starting though is watching someone who will swing through and then before the prop has stopped they are already reaching back to do it again. For me once I follow through my hand doesn't move until the prop is sitting still again.
I had never really thought about how a left hander would do it, but what you say makes sense, plus your prop is mounted the same as mine, your just flipping the bottom blade instead of the top.

I know exactly what you mean about the guys speed flipping. Your just waiting for it to start and them to stick their hand back in. Yikes!

I've started a friend's DA200 several times and it seams so strange that the prop only turns half a revolution with each flip. The good thing is every time a blade is at 2 o'clock, it's on compression.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
My routine involves always charging packs up the night before and giving the fuselage a brief once over. They sit inside the shop all week after the previous weekends flying so the theory is that nothing should have changed from the last post flight inspection, but we all know that theories are just that- theories. But it never hurts to look inside and see if it's all there.

For the morning of, I am inspecting as I assemble. I am so in tune to my routine that any little thing out of place gets noticed and tended to right away. Checks include making sure all servos are still tightly secured to their mounting slots, all servo arms and linkages secured (this reminds me that my elevator ball links are starting to get a little bit too loose...), all wires in place and servo/battery connections tight and secured. All nuts/bolts tightened down properly and in place. Be meticulous about it, there is several grand worth of wood and metal whizzing around up there so you always want to make sure it's all together as it needs to be and everything is performing as it should.

Also, pre-flight includes checking all servos operations (including throttle) in all directions to ensure that they are functioning- do this every time before you fly, not just once in the morning. A servo is a mass produced electronic component and can fail at any time for any reason, even the most reliable of servos can fail. It's just the nature of mass produced electronics, so always check to make sure they are all working before you takeoff.

When it comes to the engine, I always check the prop and spinner to make sure all of the bolts are tight at least once a month, if not more often than that. Depends on how much I fly. Starting the engine is always done with my airplane restrained by the tail against the support structure for our overhead canopy. A simple length of rope accomplishes this no problem. My engines are pretty predictable when I start them so I can always tell at which flip I need to step out of the way in the event something happens where the airplane moves forward. Once the engine is running I always let it run on high idle (approximately 1600rpm for the DA120) for about 30 seconds to make sure the insides are all warmed up before I run it up and clear it out. I see a lot of people fire their engines up and immediately run them full bore before the internals have had a chance to get up near their operating temperatures, which I firmly believe can do premature damage to the internals. Lucky for us, these high performance 2 stroke engines don't take long to warm up (like a car or truck).

Post flight inspection is doing the same thing. Inspecting everything to make sure it's all in its place and identifying any issues that arise so I can take care of them before the next outing.

Always take the time to inspect. It's worth it to make sure your investment lasts a long time ;)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
My routine involves always charging packs up the night before and giving the fuselage a brief once over. They sit inside the shop all week after the previous weekends flying so the theory is that nothing should have changed from the last post flight inspection, but we all know that theories are just that- theories. But it never hurts to look inside and see if it's all there.

For the morning of, I am inspecting as I assemble. I am so in tune to my routine that any little thing out of place gets noticed and tended to right away. Checks include making sure all servos are still tightly secured to their mounting slots, all servo arms and linkages secured (this reminds me that my elevator ball links are starting to get a little bit too loose...), all wires in place and servo/battery connections tight and secured. All nuts/bolts tightened down properly and in place. Be meticulous about it, there is several grand worth of wood and metal whizzing around up there so you always want to make sure it's all together as it needs to be and everything is performing as it should.

Also, pre-flight includes checking all servos operations (including throttle) in all directions to ensure that they are functioning- do this every time before you fly, not just once in the morning. A servo is a mass produced electronic component and can fail at any time for any reason, even the most reliable of servos can fail. It's just the nature of mass produced electronics, so always check to make sure they are all working before you takeoff.

When it comes to the engine, I always check the prop and spinner to make sure all of the bolts are tight at least once a month, if not more often than that. Depends on how much I fly. Starting the engine is always done with my airplane restrained by the tail against the support structure for our overhead canopy. A simple length of rope accomplishes this no problem. My engines are pretty predictable when I start them so I can always tell at which flip I need to step out of the way in the event something happens where the airplane moves forward. Once the engine is running I always let it run on high idle (approximately 1600rpm for the DA120) for about 30 seconds to make sure the insides are all warmed up before I run it up and clear it out. I see a lot of people fire their engines up and immediately run them full bore before the internals have had a chance to get up near their operating temperatures, which I firmly believe can do premature damage to the internals. Lucky for us, these high performance 2 stroke engines don't take long to warm up (like a car or truck).

Post flight inspection is doing the same thing. Inspecting everything to make sure it's all in its place and identifying any issues that arise so I can take care of them before the next outing.

Always take the time to inspect. It's worth it to make sure your investment lasts a long time ;)

Nicely done!

With my DA's I can tell when it's going to start on the next flip and step away like you do. My GP 61 I just can't get a solid feel for, it fools me now and then by doing that blasted kicking back and forth that a DA doesn't do.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Another thing to do while you're waiting for the tank to fill (assuming you have an electric pump) is check the prop tips and blades for any chips or damage from the previous flight....as well as spinner attachment screws. I have a small stool I like to sit on while fueling and the prop is right there .....easy-peasy while I wait.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
That's what they make those beer helmets for that hold the beer and pipe it directly to your mouth
You know all the tricks.:way_to_go:

image.jpg