• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Shop Construction

sweetpea

100cc
I did last night. He is coming next week. So far he has been in constant contact asking tons of questions. I feel better already. Monday Im renting a ditch witch for the electric line. 24 inches deep by code

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I will never understand Electricians or Contractors. Quick to come over and quote. Slow to actually do anything after that so they can get paid.
In 2012 my home was hailed on damaging the roof, gutters, and two sky lights. The first roofer gave me the runaround and kept trying to raise the price so I sent him on his way. The second one came out and we agreed on a price for all the work. They showed up on schedule and did the roof and gutters, but said the skylights wouldn't be in for another week. Well that turned into 6 months of things like. "oh we ordered the wrong ones and they're taking longer than expected and the guy you were dealing with no longer works here" and every other excuse you could think of. I had yet to pay them a dime. Finally I got a call from them that they were coming out to remeasure the sky lights. The guy comes by and measures them then comes back the following night saying "Well, those are a special size that need to be special ordered and we're going to need more money" My reply was 'Pal, that's not my problem, I have a signed contract for a set amount, and your not getting a penny more nor am I paying you a dime until the job is complete". The next day when I came home from work the new skylights were already installed.

I'll never understand how they could let that money set out there for 6 months, over a hours worth of work and a few hundred dollars worth of skylights.

sweetpea

100cc
My concrete guy stopped by today to survey. He's coming tomorrow to prep and Saturday to lay concrete. The gravel may be a few days out which I'm ok with.

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
Shop is looking good Sam! It's been a long time since you have had room to work on your stuff, I bet you are stoked!

My wife gave me permission two years ago to build a 30' X 40' shop which would have been big enough to hold the RV, motorcycle, project car, airplane trailer, all my planes PLUS an empty bay to work on a car and a nice-sized workshop for the airplanes.......well........It was REAL tempting (been wanting/needing one ever since I accumulated a couple gassers) BUT I can't see us staying here for more than 2-3 more years and I didn't think I would see a return on the expenditure so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe I'll look into a smaller one for just the airplanes and motorcycle......

Regards,

Astro

sweetpea

100cc
Not a big price difference in the bldg. itself price wise for size. Its everything that goes in it....concrete, walls, electric, insulation....etc. That crap all adds up fast when you go up just a few feet. I really wanted a 30/40 or 40/60 size bldg. but just couldn't afford the guts to it. I'll be fine with this one because I already have all the hoists to put my planes in the air. I'm going to build some permanent work benches for tools and stuff as well. It'll be a fun summer!

Anyone is welcome to come over and help me build it out! I have a spare bedroom

sweetpea

100cc
Well the concrete guy called and is dropping off all the gravel for the driveway/rv parking/inside ship today. He is planning to grade today and concrete tomorrow but it is supposed to rain and his supplier only runs concrete if multiple orders go out on the same day. I'm going turkey hunting in MI this weekend with my youngest so as long as he gets to it laid down by Mon-Tues I'm good as the electrician shows up Wednesday.

sweetpea

100cc
Concrete tomorrow is weather dependant
IMG_20150424_164907393.jpg
IMG_20150424_165056995.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150424_165056995.jpg
    IMG_20150424_165056995.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 189

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Another thing about smaller shops is you can actually afford to heat and cool them. So even though my shop isn't as large as I'd like, it is comfortable year around. If I had a larger shop I don't think I'd get near as much work done because I'd be avoiding it in the peak of summer and winter. I have a really hard time focusing on finer details when I'm sweating or shivering. Temp extremes take all the fun out of building.