• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Show Me the Biplanes!!!!

Billy J

50cc
IMG_5995.JPG
Very
How cool would this be...........

Very very cool. I had a 3w 100 in her 3 5200 lithos 8 8411 JR no lead added pure energy !!!!

Billy J

50cc
IMG_7696.JPG
Eagle wins always. Please push me to finish up!! 50% plug. Finally get wings near the fuse next is to incident bottom wing pockets and pipe for plug ! It's for from perfect but looking super cool with that 120" challenger Top wing

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Have a question for all the bi-plane experts, have a Midwest Super stinker in the box brand new. It is a kit and I believe it is 26% Scale, I do know most of the people were flying the kit with a Moki 1.6 I believe. Do not know much about this kit. Would like to know if this is a worthwhile kit to build. How does it fly.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Have a question for all the bi-plane experts, have a Midwest Super stinker in the box brand new. It is a kit and I believe it is 26% Scale, I do know most of the people were flying the kit with a Moki 1.6 I believe. Do not know much about this kit. Would like to know if this is a worthwhile kit to build. How does it fly.

I know a few people that have built them and loved them. Matter of fact I wanted one in the worse way for a number of years. They are older and build a little heavier than newer designs so they aren't a good 3D airframe, if you are looking for something to huck it won't be what you're after. A good 20-30cc gas engine would be a great choice if you don't want to go the glow route.

There are plenty of good build threads out there to get more info on it from the guys that have built 'em. If you're not looking for something 3D, I don't think you'd be disappointed with putting the effort in building it. If you do, do me a favor and trace all your parts and sell some patterns for the guys that would like to scratch build one lol ;)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I know a few people that have built them and loved them. Matter of fact I wanted one in the worse way for a number of years. They are older and build a little heavier than newer designs so they aren't a good 3D airframe, if you are looking for something to huck it won't be what you're after. A good 20-30cc gas engine would be a great choice if you don't want to go the glow route.

There are plenty of good build threads out there to get more info on it from the guys that have built 'em. If you're not looking for something 3D, I don't think you'd be disappointed with putting the effort in building it. If you do, do me a favor and trace all your parts and sell some patterns for the guys that would like to scratch build one lol ;)
Thanks for the reply.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey @Snoopy1,

I second @Bipeguy03 comments. A friend at my flying field has a kit built Midwest Super Stinker with a DLE 30. He didn't build the plane, but it weigh's a freaking ton. This plane is not overpowered with the DLE 30cc in it either. Every Midwest kit I have seen has been heavy. I wouldn't recommend an engine smaller that the DLE 30 unless you put the plane on a serious diet.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey @Snoopy1,

I second @Bipeguy03 comments. A friend at my flying field has a kit built Midwest Super Stinker with a DLE 30. He didn't build the plane, but it weigh's a freaking ton. This plane is not overpowered with the DLE 30cc in it either. Every Midwest kit I have seen has been heavy. I wouldn't recommend an engine smaller that the DLE 30 unless you put the plane on a serious diet.

Thanks for the reply and taking the time. It looks like if I wants to build it it needs to put on a diet. That is hard for me to do I am always beefing things up because of old history. Will have to take a long look at it or just sell it.
Sorry need to ask a question. Does the plane fly heavy or just not enough wing area for the size. It would not be that difficult to to change the wing cord say add 2 inch to the cord and change nothing else. Add an inch to the leading edge and inch to the trailing edge. What do guys think.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the reply and taking the time. It looks like if I wants to build it it needs to put on a diet. That is hard for me to do I am always beefing things up because of old history. Will have to take a long look at it or just sell it.
Sorry need to ask a question. Does the plane fly heavy or just not enough wing area for the size. It would not be that difficult to to change the wing cord say add 2 inch to the cord and change nothing else. Add an inch to the leading edge and inch to the trailing edge. What do guys think.
Thanks for your help.
I built a Sheber Pitts that was the same way. Everything was way to thick and in some areas to many parts. It does fly what most call heavy but to me it feels more scale like. In other words it will not take off in ten feet and has to be flown back to earth with some power/speed. I say go for it, you have nothing to lose and if the 30 is border line then go with the 35cc. Mine called for a 35cc ish and I went with a 55cc twin, love the plane.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Now, a question for the Pitts line lovers. Does the Christen Eagle have a standard S2 fuse or is it totally different?

Billy J

50cc
I built a Sheber Pitts that was the same way. Everything was way to thick and in some areas to many parts. It does fly what most call heavy but to me it feels more scale like. In other words it will not take off in ten feet and has to be flown back to earth with some power/speed. I say go for it, you have nothing to lose and if the 30 is border line then go with the 35cc. Mine called for a 35cc ish and I went with a 55cc twin, love the plane.
No less than a 50cc