Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Show Me the Biplanes!!!!

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale RC General Discussions' started by Bipeguy03, Mar 18, 2015.

1. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

Very good looking scheme. I am sure it will look awesome on the Ultimate. You do some really fine work. Hey, by the way....may contact you down the road for ideas on the big Stang. I really do not want to use covering. But I have never done any glassing of an airframe. I have always been afraid of adding too much weight. And weight on this big warbird is definitely something I can do without.

49dimes and WMcNabb like this.
  2. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

Any time Rob.
    Glassing and painting can be done with a reasonable weight gain, and you absolutely cannot use WrinkleCote on a giant Warbird with a cool ass Kolm, it would be a sacrilege.;)

dhal22, 49dimes and WMcNabb like this.
  3. Jetpainter

Well the Krill Ultimate made it to my house last night and tonight I started tinkering with it by fixing the miss aligned canopy and cowl bolts. I'll be starting a new thread for it tomorrow sometime and post some pics.

dhal22, pawnshopmike and 49dimes like this.
  4. 49dimes

49dimes Damn I'm hungry

Sub'd :) already!

5. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

1/2 oz glass and Minwax water based polyurethane is about as heavy as monocote. Here's my 1st (and only) practice run at glass and Minwax. Scratch built so that kept the weight down but this is 8 lbs even, perfect for pattern planes. Paint is water based but clear coat is automotive grade.

BA 5-14-11 006.JPG

6. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

@dhal22 ,
    That's 8 pounds of shear beauty right there. . . . . :yesss:

7. stangflyer

Seriously!!! That is freaking amazing. So, about the same as Monokote? I suppose there is no real difference between Mono and Ultracote right? It looks as if I may be going this route then. Thanks bro. for the info.:way_to_go:

8. stangflyer

Help me understand something please? When you say 1/2 ounce. Are you referring to 1/2 per square inch, square foot? Or the cloth is 1/2 ounce. How much is that? You see? I am not really trying to be a smart ass. I just truly apologize for being so ignorant when it comes to this glassing and painting tech. stuff.

9. Jetpainter

1/2 ounce per square yard for 1/2 ounce cloth.

stangflyer and dhal22 like this.
  10. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Yep, let the moisture cook off from the water based minwax poly u and water based paint and there's very minimal weight gain. A hard shell of automotive clear coat isn't that much more weight. But calculate your model build time then double it if you decide to paint it.

stangflyer likes this.