• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Soloshot anybody? Anyone, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
You would think they would be bending over backwards to answer the what-ifs if they realized how many they could potentially sell to the rc community if you can get this working the way we want it to work.
Yep. I was going to buy one, but not now. I'll sit this one out til we're well past "A" model issues.

Yep. I was going to buy one, but not now. I'll sit this one out til we're well past "A" model issues.
Note the "2" in the name, this is version B, that they admit to anyway. I thought that might mean this was the improved version. Not so much as t turns out.

It absolutely has possibilities but they really need to step up the vertical tracking a bunch. The fact they have not been able to do so and pretty much stopped talking about it makes me wonder though. I will keep trying ideas I have to see if something in the setup procedure is at least contributing to the issues. We will see. For soccer and such it should be great the way it is, put sizeable ups and downs and it keeps tripping over itself. With about $600 invested (with the Sony camera they base their package one) I would love to see it work. I got some real skin in this game.

SleepyC

150cc
It absolutely has possibilities but they really need to step up the vertical tracking a bunch. The fact they have not been able to do so and pretty much stopped talking about it makes me wonder though. I will keep trying ideas I have to see if something in the setup procedure is at least contributing to the issues. We will see. For soccer and such it should be great the way it is, put sizeable ups and downs and it keeps tripping over itself. With about $600 invested (with the Sony camera they base their package one) I would love to see it work. I got some real skin in this game.

Mine worked pretty well for vertical if I had the camera a good 50 - 100 feet back from the subject. How high are you going?

Its hard to say in feet how high I was going but with every flight I was trying to keep the plane lower and lower as I kept seeing it go up out of the frame. I was not able to get the camera so fat back from the flight line but I did try to confine the plane to farther out during the flights to lessen the overall angle the camera would have to tilt upwards. I doubt the plane is getting 200 feet up during most flights, maybe at he top of loops as I was purposely trying to keep them big and round to give the SoloShot a better shot at staying with the plane.

I did some experimenting yesterday at the field. I tried using the top of the tree line (about 75 feet up) out in front of our flight line in an attempt to expand the vertical size of the "box" the action would be in. However I also thought I could fake the SoloShot2 into using less zoom by only using 50% of the zoom during setup and that turned out to be way wrong. Apparently SoloShot2 looks at that as full zoom and applies that as the tag moves closer and further away so is essentially using twice the zoom needed to maintain the frame size. My error in thinking here became obvious on takeoff as the plane was way bigger in the frame than ever before and out of he frame much more than before. My bad.
This weekend I hope to try it again and will repeat the tree top centering but will use all of the zoom. I did the final calibration step where you go out to the centering position and give the tag the final click to lock it in with the base from roughly 200 feet out and may increase that some the next time.
At this point all I can do is experiment and see if anything improves the vertical tracking. through a lot of the video it seems to run into a veritcal limit as the plane remains at a given altitude but the SoloShot2 never goes up that high even though there is plenty of tilt left in the mechanism.

rcbobp

70cc twin V2
I've had the SoloShot2 at the field a couple times, and still no luck. Part of the issue was having it in a gasser, and the vibration kept turning the tag on and off. So then I figured I'd mount the tag on some foam, or put it in an electric plane. Then the setup just had a mind of it's own and was not following the tag.

Sleepy, are you still planning on going to HuckOWeen in Georgia? I might come down there, and then I'll bring it with me so you can show me what I'm doing wrong. Unless I'm right and the equipment is wrong. Kind of like how it is with me and the Mrs.

:yesss:

SleepyC

150cc
Sleepy, are you still planning on going to HuckOWeen in Georgia? I might come down there, and then I'll bring it with me so you can show me what I'm doing wrong. Unless I'm right and the equipment is wrong. Kind of like how it is with me and the Mrs.

:yesss:

All depends of finances and available time, but I REALLY want to!

I had the same issue with the Tag injecting the video breaks but a piece of foam under the tag got rid of almost al of them but no effect on the tracking, it still was/is vertical challenged. If somebody has an answer for this now would be a great time to offer it up! Before I toss it out in the woods I mean.