• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Starting Your Plane by Yourself, 60ccc or Larger

thelaw

70cc twin V2
Please be careful!! This is what can happen when flipping a 170cc with your skirt on!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 339
As a newby, I have learned to use a restraint and pull my plane firmly against it before each flip. Your flips should be relatively effortless and fluid. I move my hand in a straight line well away from the edge of the prop disc. With gloves, I usually smack the front of the cowl (35cc) so I use a bare hand. When my fingers get sore I take it to mean It's time to step back and double check some preflight items. Ignition Switch- DOH!
flycanic's Cowboy method (my term for it) puts one in an unnecessarily limited envelope for success and more importantly success in case of an incident e.g. high rpm. That's the only criticism I have for his method. I give him style points though!

I forgot to add I also learned from guys like terry to pull the plane off the holdbacks with my calves before I run it up.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

Agreed. I pull the plane tight to the restraints. I will admit I do not use a glove when I start them though. People probably would think it looks wierd when I start my gasser as well since I'm left handed so I pull through the bottom of the prop arc but follow through with my hand moving out of the way. I also will not put my hand back on the prop until it has completely stopped.