• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Stupidest thing you have ever done RC related.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
While we're airing the dirty linen I'll add two more that ended up fine, but could have been very ugly if it wasn't for dumb luck.

Last spring I was helping a friend with his DA200 powered Carf SU-31. We had just started it, pulled out the padded pipe restraints and he had just started to taxi out when he remembered we wanted to make a mixing adjustment in the radio. He shut it off and rolled it back to the start area and I grabbed the radio and made the adjustment. I gave him the radio back and he re started it. He had backed up a few feet and was looking at the transmitter and gave it a quick rev. Well, we had never put the pipes back in the ground and it shot forward. Luckily with my cat like reflexes (Yeah Right;)) I was able to grab the rudder before it got him. Neither of us said a word, we just looked around to make sure no one had seen how stupid we just were.

Last summer I had a similar brain fade moment. I was taxing my Carf Extra back in when some one standing at the fence line asked me a question and in a moment of pure stupidity I took my attention off of my moving airplane for a second and when I looked back it was going way too fast and heading straight for me and the fence. I grabbed the kill switch and nailed the rudder and it did a perfect 180 and ended up parking itself perfectly in the starting area. More pure dumb luck.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
senior year of college, designed and mostly built a custom cargo plane for an engineering contest. spent so much time building it I failed Vibrations and Controls and didn't get to practice flying so I could do the contest flights. first flight......broke ground......climbed.......climbed......stalled and then knife edge into the ground scattering about twelve pounds of lead buckshot all over the place.

Other teams offered to help rebuild it that night at the hotel but I said, nope, I'm done!

It might have actually made the circuit around the field and landed if I didn't stall the damn thing! The video was great, we were a huge underdog and the crown roared when we broke ground and began flying but then everyone gasped when we (I) crashed.
oh well

just went looking and found some pics (I was 23!), power was K&B .61
rutgers2.jpg
rutgers1.jpg

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
While we're airing the dirty linen I'll add two more that ended up fine, but could have been very ugly if it wasn't for dumb luck.

Last spring I was helping a friend with his DA200 powered Carf SU-31. We had just started it, pulled out the padded pipe restraints and he had just started to taxi out when he remembered we wanted to make a mixing adjustment in the radio. He shut it off and rolled it back to the start area and I grabbed the radio and made the adjustment. I gave him the radio back and he re started it. He had backed up a few feet and was looking at the transmitter and gave it a quick rev. Well, we had never put the pipes back in the ground and it shot forward. Luckily with my cat like reflexes (Yeah Right;)) I was able to grab the rudder before it got him. Neither of us said a word, we just looked around to make sure no one had seen how stupid we just were.

Last summer I had a similar brain fade moment. I was taxing my Carf Extra back in when some one standing at the fence line asked me a question and in a moment of pure stupidity I took my attention off of my moving airplane for a second and when I looked back it was going way too fast and heading straight for me and the fence. I grabbed the kill switch and nailed the rudder and it did a perfect 180 and ended up parking itself perfectly in the starting area. More pure dumb luck.

that's just like my story from a few weeks ago where i watched someone else crash and stopped watching my plane.....except i didn't have any luck that day....and now i don't have my plane :(

Astrohog

70cc twin V2
Okay, since a couple others admitted it, I will too! What is it about flat spins? :D

Had two planes assembled and flying that day: 100cc PAU Extra and 1/4 scale H9 Super Cub. Flying one, then the other comparing flat spins! After about 3 flights on each, I was flying the Cub, just completely LOVING the flat spins.....okay, getting close to the ground....center sticks........."Oh, yeah, this is the Cub DUMMY, it doesn't stop IMMEDIATELY like the Extra does!"..... Obligatory 1 1/2 more spins and it bites the dust!

Damage wasn't too bad and I will fix it, but I WILL order another one because I just love this Cub!

Regards,

Astro

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I found myself alone at the field; with 300+ members that doesn't happen often. Decided to fly anyway, started my 50cc plane and reached over the prop for some reason. A chunk of meat on my arm was suddenly missing and I quickly knew I had no business flying alone. Very lucky to have not caused a more serious problem. I still have the scar today.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Stomped on my favorite plane........23 pound 33% Lanier Edge 540 with a 106 in her. After the prop kicked back on me for a second time, I decided to whip my transmitter at it and then proceeded to stomp on it......Bone head move on my part since it flew like a dream!!!

Had a Seagull Lazer early in my flying career. Took off with ailerons reversed, dumb :steamer:, got it back on the ground with only the gear knocked out so lucky!:p Was recently flying an old glow Extreme flight Yak 1.60 using the old 72 radio. Taxied half way out to the runway and was wondering why the ailerons were jittery and realized the antenna on the radio was not extended:msn_slap::lol2:. Managed to catch that mistake/lack of attention, before takeoff:big-grin:.

Last edited:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Had a Seagull Lazer early in my flying career. Took off with ailerons reversed, dumb :steamer:, got it back on the ground with only the gear knocked out so lucky!:p Was recently flying an old glow Extreme flight 1.60 using the old 72 radio. Taxied half way out to the runway and was wondering why the ailerons were jittery and realized the antenna on the radio was not extended:msn_slap::lol2:. Managed to catch that mistake/lack of attention, before takeoff:big-grin:.

I store a couple of planes and a 72 mhz radio out of state at my uncles house. Fired up a 25% Extra 300 taxid to runway and away it went. It still going I suppose because I forgot to extend the antennae. Standing there wondering what was going on as it flew out of site, way to late I realized the antennae problem.