• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Taranis Discussion Thread

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hi All,

Been toying with the idea of making a change from my two legacy manufacturer radios (JR and Hitec) over to a FrSky/Taranis radio. I bought a Taranis X9D a few years ago but sold it after I unpackaged it and it felt kinda cheap. A friend brought over a newer X9D Plus the other day and it was better but still felt like a budget radio. There are plenty of people out there using these that will say they are nothing but nuts on rock solid, including our own Roger Forgues aka @Forgues-Research and in his case he's a full blown addict! If you know Roger you know he's not one to dabble in anything so it says a lot to me that he's using them, customizing them, programming them in ways I might not ever realize are possible.......you get the point.

So let's hear what you have to say about them. There are plenty of places to bash stuff and rub our love on other stuff but in this thread let's see what we can learn. We're only about five years behind the rest of the RC world in setting up a Taranis discussion thread! I'd complain to the owner or previous owner about that!

AloftHobbies.com is the official US distributor.

The basic, fully programmable Taranis radio is the X9D Plus, here's the link;
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-plus.html

plus_1.jpg

Here are the features;
  • Full Telemetry RSSI alarms (warns you of signal reception problems before disaster can strike)
  • Haptic Feedback - vibration
  • 16 channels (32 channels when combined with an external XJT module)
  • 60 model memories
  • 64 mixers, 9 flight modes
  • 16 custom curves with 3-17 points each, 32 logic switches
  • Voice or custom sound alerts
  • USB and SD card slot for system expansion
  • Long range system capable of up to 2 times the range of current 2.4 systems
  • Quad bearing gimbals that are silky smooth
  • State-of-the-art open source software
  • Large 212 X 64 backlit LCD screen (2 backlight color options)
  • Real-time data logging
  • Receiver lock (program locked to aircraft - limited to FrSky receivers running PXX protocol)
  • JR Style module bay for additional RF modules and so much more
  • Selectable flight mode (1, 2, 3, or 4) Ships in Mode 2, Throttle on left stick.
  • 2 timers, count up or down, throttle %, talking, etc.
  • Trims - Adjustable from course to extra fine with extended and exponential trims
  • Standard trainer jack
  • ARM Cortex M3 32-bit 120MHz
  • Integrates with CompanionTX – a FREE computer program that is a transmitter setup buddy. CompanionTX (Windows/Mac/Linux) is used to set-up models with the wizard, save, edit and share your models and settings as well as simulate your transmitter or model setup.
  • USB connection for firmware upgrades, sound editing, R/W to the microSD card and integrate with CompanionTX
  • Multiple language support (Radio arrives configured for English language)
  • Open source community-driven firmware, so unlike with major manufacturers if you need a special function or have good improvement suggestions just raise your voice, and don't be surprised if it's implemented a couple of days later! Visit http://www.openrcforums.com to meet the developers!

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The Horus X10 transmitter is FrSky's answer to pilots that are used to the legacy brand radios that want the reliability and very affordable receivers of the FrSky system but with a menu driven interface like a Futaba or Spektrum would have.

https://alofthobbies.com/horus-x10.html

x10_-_2.jpg

Features
  • 16 channels (32 channels when combined with an external XJT or Ranger module)
  • Ball bearing gimbals equipped with Hall Effect sensors
  • High Resolution TFT, Transflective Screen, visible in direct sunlight
  • Antenna malfunction detection and SWR telemetry
  • 2 internal antennas and one external removable antenna (can operate on either option)
  • Audible Speech Alerts (values, alarms, settings, etc.)
  • Safety power switch (no accidental power downs)
  • Li-ion battery pack and FCX10 quick charger
  • 6 position encoder
  • FrSky FrTX OS
  • Option to install OpenTX
  • Protected Internal Antennas
  • JR Style Module Bay (to expand you RF options)
  • Full Telemetry · RSSI indication and alarms
  • USB and SD card slot for system expansion
  • Data Logging
  • Trainer Port

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
If you haven't ever heard of these radios and their features here are the highlights as to why they're so popular.

They aren't super expensive
The receivers aren't super expensive
They can run software called OpenTx which controls the radio and allows you to program channels and switches however you'd like. Chances are if you can imagine a certain control scheme for your aircraft, you can program the switches and channels to do it. It isn't super easy but there are a lot of people out there that have figured it out. The Horus radios don't come with OpenTx installed but they can be switched over to OpenTx if you'd like.
There are a lot of sensors available for telemetry back to you on the ground for things like battery voltage, altitude, GPS position, temperature, RSSI strength which is a measure of how strong the transimitter signal is being received at the aircraft, etc., etc., etc.
RSSI strength alone is very desirable since it lets you know when you're receiver is losing signal with the transmitter so you can either land or turn back towards the transmitter
Receivers are generally expandable to use the full number of channels, sometimes as many as 32
Transmitter modules are available that will make your Taranis compatible with your Futaba, JR, Spektrum receivers

Anyone already using one of these radios?

Last edited:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
A well regarded builder (JetFlyer over on RCG, 8178 on RCU) loves the open software. He has made many good points about it.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I posted a wanted ad and came up with a nearly new used Horus X10S today, maybe it'll be here by the end of the week.

In playing around with flaps and ailerons I've run into a limit with my current radios where I can't make flaperons that also give me outboard ailerons only in low rates and full span honker ailerons in high rates. I also want to play around more with telemetry options.

The receivers are still a little confusing but I'll just have to pick one and run with it, see what's what and then go fly.

Anybody else already flying FrSky?

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
New is $410, $300 and supposedly never used so "like new". 8 channel receiver with telemetry is about $35 plus $11 to add a break out module to add four more channels. SBUS servos can access the full 32 channels or whatever it is but I'm not buying all SBUS servos because I'm pretty sure they're expensive!

The radio is 16 channels, expandable to 32 with SBUS I think. It's a long way from buying a Futaba 8FG and the receiver, battery, switch, servos, etc. was all packed neatly in the foam! I'll figure it out eventually, it'll be fun. Roger's using FrSky for his big Dalotel which gives me some comfort in giving it a try.

The FrSky Horus radios actually run like regular mainstream radios with a menu driven interface for setting everything but I'm going to use it to learn the OpenTx software so I'll be installing OpenTx when I get it. My way out if it is too confusing, hand it to my 14 yr old and let him do it for me! lol

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
For what it's worth, the Taranis X9D Plus in the first post is about $190 new and can be found pretty easily in used condition in internet classifieds for about $125 shipped. The X9D Plus runs OpenTx and has a lot of channels so all of what OpenTx offers is in there. I almost bought one earlier in the day but we couldn't agree on a price then the Horus came along.

bob_nj

70cc twin V2
I've been using Taranis since February of 2014 and haven't looked back.
Awesome in every way.

I have four X9D+ and use the X8R in most of my planes.
Never had an issue

It was a steep learning curve at first, but it's all good after that.
I have to say that I don't get crazy with all of the features.
It does what I want for my aircraft and I leave it at that.
SBUS, Telemetry, PC Interface, Audibles, and on and on.

I have two on version 2.1.9, and two on version 2.0.19
I have 24 planes on gas and electric, again, with no issues.

I'm sure you've been reading the thousand page plus threads on the boards.
Good luck

Take care
Bob

claymin

50cc
I also have been using the X9D+ for a couple of years. being a programmer I love the open TX program. just bought the X10S first of the year. Use it with the stock program for about a week then flashed it over to open tx.

Von