• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Terryscustom 35% MXS-ST Prototype

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I built a Byron Corsair many years ago that had pocket hinges that were done with Robart hinge points. It worked well, but there was no way to service it. The Carf Extra 330L I have now has a setup very similar to your drawing with a single pin that holds them on. When it was 7 years old the phenolic hinges were getting pretty sloppy, so I put bearings in them. Man did that make them smooooth!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I built a Byron Corsair many years ago that had pocket hinges that were done with Robart hinge points. It worked well, but there was no way to service it. The Carf Extra 330L I have now has a setup very similar to your drawing with a single pin that holds them on. When it was 7 years old the phenolic hinges were getting pretty sloppy, so I put bearings in them. Man did that make them smooooth!
Bearings would be awesome. I use tiny bearings in the copiers I fix every day. I was thinking those would be an excellent solution.

nebwake

70cc twin V2
Im still trying to get an engine mounted in my 40%er and servos in the thing. I fit the firewall a few weeks ago though so thats a start. Its been what like 9 months... I almost feel like Riley :cool: In this time, terry has designed and build how many planes??? damn

Wacobipe

100cc
Well I've been playing with this idea for a while and this morning I was doing some sketching on a way to do pocket style hinging. The kits for the MX will obviously be laid out for standard hinging but I want to do a full working test of the pocket hinging as well. There are obviously the guy's that will come in and say "they get sloppy" and "they are less effective". There is also some theory that the air separates from the top side of the downward facing aileron in high rates roll creating an adverse yaw effect.

All those things can be addressed with the proper design (even the parts that are not really true);)

So, we cut an extra stab, and it's going in the vacuum bag in a very short while to build a construction, function and destruction test model.

View attachment 13564
Lov'n it!

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
Im still trying to get an engine mounted in my 40%er and servos in the thing. I fit the firewall a few weeks ago though so thats a start. Its been what like 9 months... I almost feel like Riley :cool: In this time, terry has designed and build how many planes??? damn
It's all good. We all have our own speed.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Few oddball things and a little slow motion work in the shop today. I glued up some SFG's for a couple planes, cowl ring, assembled servo boxes and cowl joining tabs. First thing I did was get the sample stab in the vacuum so later in the day it was ready to cut. I had to install the lip on my cowl since I had not done that yet (kits come with this already done, I was just too lazy to do it when I laid up the cowl).

I'll wrap up the drawings for the stab pocket hinge assembly in the morning and laser out all the parts.

Attachments

• _DSC0218.JPG
    _DSC0218.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 359
  • _DSC0219.JPG
    _DSC0219.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 351
  • _DSC0220.JPG
    _DSC0220.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 320
  • _DSC0221.JPG
    _DSC0221.JPG