• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Manta

70cc twin V2
I bought 4 new hitec 65mgs. to replace some my wattaplane and mxs. 2 of the 4 have completely failed after less than 15 flights. elevator in wattaplane and rudder in mxs. was able to catch the mxs but the wattaplane cost me. also had a 5245 fail in my 60 mxs right after they were serviced from hitec that was also in the rudder. think I may have to switch

what will you switch to? I have seen a few hitec go tits up out of the box and kinda low flight counts too,but what will you go to? Other of my servos that are hitec have been bullet proof. Does seem to be a crap shoot tho.

wedoitall

what will you switch to? I have seen a few hitec go tits up out of the box and kinda low flight counts too,but what will you go to? Other of my servos that are hitec have been bullet proof. Does seem to be a crap shoot tho.

I have no clue to be honest. Savox maybe idk
I havent had problems till recently

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think sometimes we have to acknowledge the fact we aren't buying military grade components... Some are likely to make it through the QC filters.
Overall, I've been very pleased with both my Savox and Hitec servos. I've had failures on both brands, and both times excellent customer service from them.

Also, I think some people's flying skills progress so rapidly, that they become the 1%'ers who will break anything, since their skills put extreme loads on their gear.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
+ 100% Gary. Face it we put tremendous stress on components. We need to be at or above rec specs. I can't believe these airframes don't explode with the types of maneuvers we are doing!

wedoitall

I think sometimes we have to acknowledge the fact we aren't buying military grade components... Some are likely to make it through the QC filters.
Overall, I've been very pleased with both my Savox and Hitec servos. I've had failures on both brands, and both times excellent customer service from them.

Also, I think some people's flying skills progress so rapidly, that they become the 1%'ers who will break anything, since their skills put extreme loads on their gear.

to bad im not in that 1% I would be happy to break stuff :)

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I bought 4 new hitec 65mgs. to replace some my wattaplane and mxs. 2 of the 4 have completely failed after less than 15 flights. elevator in wattaplane and rudder in mxs. was able to catch the mxs but the wattaplane cost me. also had a 5245 fail in my 60 mxs right after they were serviced from hitec that was also in the rudder. think I may have to switch

I have no clue to be honest. Savox maybe idk
I havent had problems till recently

+ 100% Gary. Face it we put tremendous stress on components. We need to be at or above rec specs. I can't believe these airframes don't explode with the types of maneuvers we are doing!

Some people have been discussing this same issue with the hs65mg's in some other areas. Joe Smith responded about it often being a setup issue that causes premature failure. In the four foot plane size there really isn't anything (IMO) than the hs65's in terms of torque, centering, and speed without spending double. I have heard about the savox servos crapping out early in this size as well. It is true that we are putting tremendous stress on the servos on 3d planes... especially for a servo that is barely adequate in terms of strength to deal with it.

Here are some suggestions that I have gleaned over the past few years that have proved to be helpful for me. (or am I just one of the lucky ones that has not had early servo failures?)

Binding: Absolutely be certain the servo is not binding at full deflection. You can usually hear the servo buzzing if it is straining to maintain deflection. If it is buzzing without a load, just imagine what it is dealing with when you do a full throttle wall, blender, or KE spin. Extra load means extra amp draw and a build up of heat.

Torque: These servos are just adequate for the 48" size 3d planes. We are pushing them to their torque limits. With that in mind we have to be careful about the leverage we are using. Shorter arms are better for delivering more usable torque to the surface than long ones. Be sure you are using the shortest possible servo arms to get the desired throws. The procedure for getting the optimal servo arm is as follows: Use the end point adjustments (EPA) in your computer radio to drive the servos as far as they will go. By having the servo travel farther you won't need as long of a control arm. Just because the arm is long does not mean you need to use the outer-most hole. Go in as far as you can while getting desired throws. If you are using long arms and your EPA is set to 100% you are going to experience blow-back like crazy (especially on rudder in KE flight) and will likely shorten the life of the servo.

The above suggestions will not make a bad servo good, but should help a lot when dealing with quality gear. Now keep in mind that Hitec has excellent customer service and is knows to fix/replace servos that have an issue. I am still on my first set of hs65's after many hundreds of flights but you won't find any binding or excess leverage put against them in my setups.

Good luck, hope this helps :D

3dbandit

100cc
You speak for yourself Mr. Onewing! Oh, that's right, you didn't blow up a servo you just ripped the wing off! Lol!
You know what I meant.

LOL
Nah, The wing exploded before it ripped off.

The ribs exploded and allowed air to rush in, which then ripped the rest of the wing off.