• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

AKfreak

150cc
Hey guys, where is the cheapest place to buy the crimpers to make servo ends. I need the tool and the metal ends plus the plastic parts for JR/Spektrum.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=2452]Limitless Aero[/MENTION] has done it a lot

Sorry about the crash Nate

I'm sorry about your mishap 3dNater. I mashed up my 56" AJ Aircraft Laser a week ago...beyond repair. I hope the repairs go well for you.
I'm sorry for yours!
It's not to bad, I've rebuilt a ton of airplane engines...Mintor, DLE, TMM, 3W, etc etc.. I use to be the Mintor engines North American service tech for 3.5 years.

The first thing you'd want to check is the crank and hub nut, make sure they aren't bent, use a dial indicator to do this. The prop hub retaining nut is usually a booger to get off unless you use an impact, I have a custom prop hub puller I made once the nut is off. Then disassemble the engine, check all parts for damage. Those should be standard size bearing you can buy at any auto parts store or powersports dealer. I like to use the ALL-BALLS bearings(made in USA) I purchase at the powersports dealer I work for during the day. NSK bearings(Japan) are good also.

The bearings should have a number on them like 6203 or S6203 for example, depending on if it's a sealed bearing or not. the nose bearing will be a sealed bearing, the other bearing is general not, open to internal gas oil mix. The nose bearing could be different from the other bearing, so check both numbers.

The bearings will press in and out once you have the crank out.
Thanks guys. [MENTION=2466]Superstocktx[/MENTION] I'm sure I will be reaching out to you very soon.

AKfreak

150cc

That's perfect, thank you kind sir! I was stupid, and did stupid things when speaking to a fellow flyer at the field yesterday. I almost lost my plane, but I didn't. I reached into the burning wires and ripped them out. My hand will heal, my plane wouldn't. On my 12S setup, there are 4 deans connectors. I use a Y-Harness to put two 6S packs in series. Above the 2 flight packs, are 2 LiFE packs for the rx and servos, which also have deans connectors.

After 50 flights, I became complacent during battery install. I am sure you can figure out what happened. At first I thought someone walked up behind me and was smoking. I soon realized it was coming from my plane and took action. It happened so fast, the it was over! I was extremely lucky, and will be changing all of my lipo packs to EC5 so this can never happen again.

If there is a lesson to me learned here, it's when setting up your plane, do not engage in any type of distraction. Don't talk to anyone, and concentrate on the task at hand. Disaster avoided, and I am extremely thankful.

I tested everything, and believe. It or not, no components besides a Y harness and the servo ends on my LiFE packs were damages. Besides some BB-Q'd finger tips, I am all good.

This is why I need the crimpers and ends. I want to fix my rx packs. Thanks for the link, I'll buy them today. AKf
image.jpg

SnowDog

so you plugged the 2 6s lipos into the deans where your life packs are normally plugged in?

yikes! glad you saved it! that can get out of hand very quickly.

glad you were not seriously injured.

distractions during setup == danger. I always try to set mine up as soon as I pull it out of the van instead of in the pits for exactly that reason.

AKfreak

150cc
It was the third flight of the day, I was networking packs and got distracted as I plugged in my series harness. 99% of the time I hook the series harness to both backs outside of the plane. This time I left the y harness on the bench and installed the back, velcroed them down and hooked it up in the plane. Now there are 4 deans connectors in a 4" sq area, while chatting I hooked a 6s lipo pack in series to a 2s life pack. When I plugged in the rx lead it shorted the packs and Poof, fire.

Bone head doesn't begin to describe how stupid I felt. It cost me a servo y harness, and 2 life pack servo connectors. It could of been a major disaster.

When I had Hitec RXs which have a SBC port to seperately power the RX and also get voltage telemetry (best design idea for RXs I have seen) I had a Stryker setup with a servo connector coming off the main leads to that port and another from the BEC for the servos. Well guess what I did one day when changing something out in the plane. I melted all 4 servo in the wings and almost had a little foamy fire in my basement.

So far for my big electrics, I have the BEC pro wired into my series harness so there is only the 2 leads to hookup. If I do a truly big electric I will have dual RX packs like you have, hopefully aft in the plane so I won't get them confused. Another thing I do is I have multiple colors of powerpole housings so for something that can be confusing like my anti spark I use a different color like yellow in this case. I might do my RXs in Orange and Brown and do the same on that set of RX batts for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Anyone out there know of an attorney with experience or specializing in property management and/or home insurance?

Could use some help.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Anyone out there know of an attorney with experience or specializing in property management and/or home insurance?

Could use some help.

I sent you an IM. My brother is an attorney. Let me know if you want me to have him reach out to you.