• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

vegasking

70cc twin V2
3DMIKE , at least there's a lot more freeways to be stuck on out there now. When I first lived out there was only I-17, I-10 West. Was back out there in Dec 2104 and there's highways and freeways everywhere.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
One year, my wife wanted to visit her relatives in Phoenix in the summer so she could experience the "really hot" version (before that we had visited only in the winter)...wow was that brutal...the water in the pool of her relatives house was so warm from the sun that it didn't even feel refreshing...110 in the shade, that kind of stuff...at least it convinced her that she would never want to live there (which I already knew)

Mike why are you in Phoenix?

Yep it sucks here. I loved growing up here when like Vegasking said it was just two two lane freeways and it never was backed up. Plus the temps were hot but never really got that hot but now because of all the orchards being cut down and all the asphalt and houses replacing them it really has increased the temps a lot.

We're here to see the new Grand baby and visit family. I wish I could convince them all that the grass really is greener in Oregon!

Yes, but are there jobs and access to transport? Your part of OR is pretty remote compared to all the places I have lived. My spouses's niece just fled eastern OR to Tucson to get access to schools and jobs.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hey I'm in Scottsdale on a long layover! Where are you Mike? I'm on N. Scottsdale Rd til tomorrow early. Meeting friends this afternoon. Too bad I didn't know. We could have met for a quick beer. May be free around 6-7.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I actually quite like Arizona, but not the Metropolis areas. Bullhead City is my favorite currently. The heat has never really bothered me, the dry-ness out there is actually comfortable. It's kind of weird hearing about how your pool is AC'd. My favorite AZ weather is flash flooding and storms, there's just something about the unpredictable-ness of it all that creates excitement for me. I remember we were on lake Mojave one year with the relatives, sunny as could be and about 112 out. Not a cloud in sight until about 2pm when we noticed some little wispy clouds in the sky- by 2:30 it had turned into a full blown flash flood, lighting everywhere, wind, even a dust storm to head the storm up. Love it there :banana:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey I'm in Scottsdale on a long layover! Where are you Mike? I'm on N. Scottsdale Rd til tomorrow early. Meeting friends this afternoon. Too bad I didn't know. We could have met for a quick beer. May be free around 6-7.

Hey [MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] I'm in Prescott today and tonight but will be at adobe dam flying in the morning. When do you fly out?

Ah man! I just noticed the date. You're long gone. Let me know if your back this way tomorrow! I fly out of here wednesday morning.

I have a heat pump on my pool, which is a reverse AC unit to pump heat into the water. My pool is literally still a ice cube at the moment though. Here comes April and I still have several inches of snow on the ground. It is going to be strange driving to GA for SEFF and it will essentially be summer for me overnight.

Yes. I have attended events with them before and know what that brings, and also what it doesn't bring, which is a lot of sponsored pilots. I go to these events to fly.

This is a father/son trip we do. Dad would either do Nall, or SEFF, and we did Nall last year and did not have the greatest time on the 3D line. It lacks adult supervision as one of my friends would call it. The flying accross the runway the wrong way would get anyone kicked out at the other 4 flight lines, but not at the 3D line. I fly with multiple people at events often, just not ones trying to mid-air me constantly.

I have heard SEFF is a fun event with a more social atmosphere and so far it has been a lot cheaper. I have a golf cart, power hookups, registration, and "SEFF prizes" tickets so about half of what I had into the Nall trip just for the RV spot and cart. Also this past season I have gotten much more into electrics.

I am still going to Nall, just only as a spectator with a golf cart and a camera.

In the end I am not sure the two main 3D vendors not going is a good or bad thing as I heard they were a lot of fun at this event, unlike Nall where they are under more pressure to show off.

ryan_m

100cc
Like you Enterprise, I go to events to fly. I don't go to dodge everybody else's plane the whole time. I have zero interest in going to the larger events anymore. Events where the team pilots are flying just about every minute of the day hold no interest for me at all. I understand wanting to show off your sponsors product, I really do. But when you essentially use the entire airspace flying at full throttle very aggressively for just about the whole time the event is going, it makes it really hard for others to enjoy their time there. Seems to me that a lot of representing your sponsor could also be done by making the rounds on the ground, talking to people, helping them with their questions, or their planes, and spending less time flying. Fly a couple times per hour, like most of the rest of the attendees do maybe, and spend time socializing with the other pilots and promoting that way. I have seen a number of events where team pilots all congregate together and talk in their own group, and don't seem to have much time/desire to talk to the common folk.

I really enjoyed the Ft. Smith FLI event a couple years ago, and then last year the Kennett, MO 3dbash. Both were low key, about 40-50 pilots there and to me were tons of fun.