• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Just got back, pretty great day

Flew my 40" addiction to test the replaced elevator hinges, all it well, just a bit windy for the light wing loading.

Split my time between a 50" YAK and a 40" f3a plane. About 50/50 for precision versus 3d

Had two VERY interested boys, guessing 6 and 8, with their Dad shadow me for about 45 minutes. They were crushed when I ran out of batteries, asked if I could come back tommorrow

Still smiling

good job [MENTION=1100]alawson999[/MENTION] promoting. I had a 2 yr old at the field with his mom doing control checks on my 60" Laser then he got a private air show. "Watch me turn the airplane into a helicopter!" He liked that.
Had a very rewarding day Friday at my 9 year old's 3rd grade class. Did the AMA/ ALCOA funded STEM presentation with the FPG-9. Check it out- http://www.modelaircraft.org/education/edpacket.aspx
I finished up with a demo with a TH Crack Laser and a foam (test flight) F22 that my daughter flies on a buddy box. We even had the teacher try and she did great! One of the best moments for me was while flying their gliders and collecting data one girl looked up at a plane flying over and she put her arms out making aileron motions with her hands as she saw the plane roll into a descending turn for landing at the nearby airport- awesome! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434379823.381075.jpg
My wife even assisted! She reluctantly (tongue out!) allowed this (probably once in a lifetime) shot of her with a Tx case in hand. LolImageUploadedByTapatalk1434379922.965362.jpg
Very rewarding day. If you haven't tried one of these programs I highly recommend it. The 3rd graders were perfect for this project. We were there for 2 hours including the 10 min video- https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=FLKuCNTGzcffrySHwp62GiyA&v=AFFmw8bLA9g
assembling the FPG-9 and the demo flying. There were 16 kids plus the teacher. We all thought this size group with 3- 4 adults was just right. Any more would be difficult to keep attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
[video=youtube;OlJ_5p2DBpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlJ_5p2DBpM[/video]

I had a little fun last night. Flew my 71" AJ Slick for a quick flight. I let a kid set up my airplane for me, fuel it, and helped give me a start!! Made his day for sure!! Flew the plane as the kid attentively watched. Then a old buddy showed up I haven't seen in ages, so I flew it for him to watch (he took the video), then a group of kids showed up and flew it for them too!!! I didn't get to bed until late to say the least. This video was taken about 9:45 at night in Alaska - still pretty bright out up here!
The video is low quality, but you get the idea. I felt like I had my own fan club being one of two fliers at the field, Ha! :banana:

I also flew my EF Slick 480, it flies okay... you can do just about everything with it, but doesn't feel incredibly stable in high alpha/slow flight.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
 good job @alawson999 promoting. I had a 2 yr old at the field with his mom doing control checks on my 60" Laser then he got a private air show. "Watch me turn the airplane into a helicopter!" He liked that.
Had a very rewarding day Friday at my 9 year old's 3rd grade class. Did the AMA/ ALCOA funded STEM presentation with the FPG-9. Check it out- http://www.modelaircraft.org/education/edpacket.aspx
I finished up with a demo with a TH Crack Laser and a foam (test flight) F22 that my daughter flies on a buddy box. We even had the teacher try and she did great! One of the best moments for me was while flying their gliders and collecting data one girl looked up at a plane flying over and she put her arms out making aileron motions with her hands as she saw the plane roll into a descending turn for landing at the nearby airport- awesome!View attachment 35414
My wife even assisted! She reluctantly (tongue out!) allowed this (probably once in a lifetime) shot of her with a Tx case in hand. LolView attachment 35415
Very rewarding day. If you haven't tried one of these programs I highly recommend it. The 3rd graders were perfect for this project. We were there for 2 hours including the 10 min video- https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=FLKuCNTGzcffrySHwp62GiyA&v=AFFmw8bLA9g
assembling the FPG-9 and the demo flying. There were 16 kids plus the teacher. We all thought this size group with 3- 4 adults was just right. Any more would be difficult to keep attention.

Nice work Daren!!!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup yup!!! Sorry guys I've been Mia the last few days. My grandpa (88 years old) was hit by a car in a parking lot and had to have surgery for a broken hip not to mention all the scraps and bruises. He should be fine but his high blood pressure has them concerned at the moment.

wfahey415

3DRCF Moderator
Just to give you some enticement Mike. Instead of sticking a DLE 55RA in the nose of your new bird. Go with the 60 Twin. Looks great when you look in from the front through the cowl cheeks. :)
20150619_221722_resized.jpg