• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

SteveT.

100cc
I thinks it's almost impossible to build a Steven's Aero kit without it coming out perfectly straight. The parts interlock and are designed so well that you can literally build them without glue, then just got back and hit everything with thin CA once you are sure that everything is perfect. There is very little sanding and they go together so fast that covering them takes the most time.

I would say that this is true of the few 3D kits that I know of. The SA Edge was actually designed (at least in part) by Scott Stoops of 3DHS designer fame. All of his 3DHS Edge designs came after that, so of course they were improved. The SA Edge airframe is still ridiculously light even by modern standards (not many 3D planes this size fly on a 3s 2100!), and it flys really well. The newer designs do fly better though.

My SA Edge just had the components removed after several years, and were put into a 3DHS Yak 55...

View attachment 1389 View attachment 1390

You did a very nice job on that plane Greg!! Great covering and painting job!!

SteveT

SteveT.

100cc
Wow! My biggest 2 were a 42 inch 24 pound flounder (massive), and a 9 pound bass. Things are going well on the foamie front....... my stuff is coming tommorow, and my drawing turned out to be kind of a pattern plane wing with big ailerons, and the crack yak tail. Should work well. Does it matter how far forward or back the wing is on the fuse?

Yes....will definitely change how it reacts to pitch, and also will effect how difficult it is to balance it..... (wing too far back, nose heavy, wing too far forward tail heavy)

SteveT

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
That looks like bad news on the foam front...is that near nig bay??/ looks like it's breached and dumping raw effluent into the sea :(

It's the opposite side of the mouth of the river Dee from Nig Bay called locally 'Fittie', those are the old fishemans cottages dating back to 1800. I think the sewage theory is unfortunately correct but the local media hasn't picked it up yet. There is a sewage treatment works just across the river in Nig Bay. The oufall pipe is way offshore but the extreme weather must have been blowing it back onto the beach:eek:

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Yes....will definitely change how it reacts to pitch, and also will effect how difficult it is to balance it..... (wing too far back, nose heavy, wing too far forward tail heavy)

SteveT

how does starting at 1/5 of the fuse and ending at 3/5's sound?

SteveT.

100cc
It's the opposite side of the mouth of the river Dee from Nig Bay called locally 'Fittie', those are the old fishemans cottages dating back to 1800. I think the sewage theory is unfortunately correct but the local media hasn't picked it up yet. There is a sewage treatment works just across the river in Nig Bay. The oufall pipe is way offshore but the extreme weather must have been blowing it back onto the beach:eek:

After the storm, they might want to get out hoses (fire hoses?) and wash that junk off!!!

SteveT

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Hehe this probably sounds crazy but I think my winter project will be attempting to make a functional arc reactor. I've looked into it and its actually not all that far-fetched. Its basically a battery system that reuses the power it spends to recharge itself. I may be able to do it with Li-On batteries for a phone. Just hook something that theroretically will reuse the energy from the laser or beam or whatever.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
You did a very nice job on that plane Greg!! Great covering and painting job!!

SteveT

Thanks...that was only my second full covering job, and the first with more than one color! I cheated on the painting though. I found out that covering will stick to painted surfaces, so I just painted the cowling white and used Ultracote on it. I have used that technique a few times now, and I haven't lost any covering in flight yet...

P7110355.jpg PA1500089.jpg

Pic 1 - Black Ultracote tiger stripes on spray bomb.
Pic 2 - Ultracote Red Bull on stock painted Slick cowling.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveT.

100cc
Thanks...that was only my second full covering job, and the first with more than one color! I cheated on the painting though. I found out that covering will stick to painted surfaces, so I just painted the cowling white and used Ultracote on it. I have used that technique a few times now, and I haven't lost any covering in flight yet...

View attachment 1399 View attachment 1400

Pic 1 - Black Ultracote tiger stripes on spray bomb.
Pic 2 - Ultracote Red Bull on stock painted Slick cowling.

:D

Great jobs on both!!

SteveT