• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Safety is not always cut and dry. The same rules that apply to turbine do not apply to a giant scale 3d. Just as saftey is different with gas/glow and electric. Same with heli's and quads and on and on. While it seems va very obvious statement, it sure is not obvious to all. Some people just like to bitch simple as that. I was turned away from an indoor flying session as my 8oz foamy 3d plane had "too much energy" and would hurt someone. A fog is a fog, no matter the age.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
Safety is not always cut and dry. The same rules that apply to turbine do not apply to a giant scale 3d. Just as saftey is different with gas/glow and electric. Same with heli's and quads and on and on. While it seems va very obvious statement, it sure is not obvious to all. Some people just like to bitch simple as that. I was turned away from an indoor flying session as my 8oz foamy 3d plane had "too much energy" and would hurt someone. A fog is a fog, no matter the age.

LOL, anything with a prop can be dangerous. 3D or not.

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
I picked up my Pilot RC 107" Edge today. As far as I can tell it weighs 22 pounds without gas and receiver. Its hard to tell because the rudder hits the ceiling so its at a slight slant when weighing it. It has 2X A123 3300mah batteries in it and I want to switch to 2s lipo (single) running off a ibec. I was thinking like a 1000 or 1200mah? I dont mind charging at the field so maybe 900mah? Or maybe buying (5) 500mah lipos and switch after each flight? What do you guys think? The throttle servo is not HV so I was wondering would a HS 5245 from my downed 60" be to small?

zmonster97

I picked up my Pilot RC 107" Edge today. As far as I can tell it weighs 22 pounds without gas and receiver. Its hard to tell because the rudder hits the ceiling so its at a slight slant when weighing it. It has 2X A123 3300mah batteries in it and I want to switch to 2s lipo (single) running off a ibec. I was thinking like a 1000 or 1200mah? I dont mind charging at the field so maybe 900mah? Or maybe buying (5) 500mah lipos and switch after each flight? What do you guys think? The throttle servo is not HV so I was wondering would a HS 5245 from my downed 60" be to small?

I recommend two 2s 2200mah batteries at least. You definitely want two for redundancy. Get at least 2200mah batteries. They will last you about 4 flights. You won't notice the weight at all so don't worry about that.

For a throttle servo, a good one is the Hitec HS5665MH. You definitely want a full size servo.

Also, what brand radio do you use? If you use Spektrum, I highly recommend one of their PowerSafe receivers. Either the AR9110 or AR12110. The batteries plug directly into the receiver.

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
I have a new Taranis radio. 8-16 channels and the receiver I believe go's to 10v, but i will check. I dont really need 4 flights, and putting those in will just be the same weight as it is. I'm at a higher elevation....I read someone uses 2X 500mah lipos.

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
Yep my receiver operates from 4 to 10v...You guys know what he left at home, in another state from me.........The wing nuts

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Mike listen to Zach... the difference between the weight of a 2s 2200 and a 2s 500 is not material to the weight of the airplane. A bigger pack has not only more capacity, but a higher amp rating as well (all things held equal). I run a single 2s 2500 pack on my 30cc plane.

zmonster97

Mike listen to Zach... the difference between the weight of a 2s 2200 and a 2s 500 is not material to the weight of the airplane. A bigger pack has not only more capacity, but a higher amp rating as well (all things held equal). I run a single 2s 2500 pack on my 30cc plane.

+1. I used a single 2s 500mah to setup just one wing on my 103" extra and it was getting warm and died within a few minutes. Granted it wasn't fully charged, but you get the point.