• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The BS that went on at NALL on Friday Night

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I think that when you arrive at TT, your pilot package should include the rules for each flight line. Then, there is NO excuse for not knowing what they are.

YES! That is the first thing I looked for in the packet, and did not find anything. They have a morning pilots meeting at every line but attendance is scarce at best. I was there for four days and when I got to fly I still was not aware of what the actual flight line rules were other than common sense.

SleepyC

150cc
We don't need new rules. We have rules. We need rule ENFORCEMENT.

But that was my point, at the 3D line pilots meetings, guys were modifying them. If everyone thinks these rules still apply then you are correct, simple enforcement is necessary. (obviously flying over the pits and such are not even on the table to be modified)
BUT....

When there is ONE person flying do ALL the traffic rules still apply? If two pilots want to fly a tandem little demo do all the rules still apply? This all needs to be addressed as this was the questions I was hearing. So I think a more rounded set of rules for a flightily which is usually on the forefront of what 3D piloting is needs to adapt as the flying style change.

I mean, I REALLY miss the old school 5 - 10 plane hover gaggles. With the current rules, even if 10 guys all talked about it, everyone was cool with it they couldn't hover infront of the pilot stations, they would have to be WAY out.

Everything seems simple until it's not. :D
Also - since text doesn't come with an "attitude knob" everything I am saying is said with a respectful tone and a positive motive. (just making sure the vibe stays cool!)

But that was my point, at the 3D line pilots meetings, guys were modifying them. If everyone thinks these rules still apply then you are correct, simple enforcement is necessary. (obviously flying over the pits and such are not even on the table to be modified)
BUT....

When there is ONE person flying do ALL the traffic rules still apply? If two pilots want to fly a tandem little demo do all the rules still apply? This all needs to be addressed as this was the questions I was hearing. So I think a more rounded set of rules for a flightily which is usually on the forefront of what 3D piloting is needs to adapt as the flying style change.

I mean, I REALLY miss the old school 5 - 10 plane hover gaggles. With the current rules, even if 10 guys all talked about it, everyone was cool with it they couldn't hover infront of the pilot stations, they would have to be WAY out.

Everything seems simple until it's not. :D
Also - since text doesn't come with an "attitude knob" everything I am saying is said with a respectful tone and a positive motive. (just making sure the vibe stays cool!)

Doesn't matter if it's a demo or not or if it's one person flying or not. All the rules need to apply all the time. No exceptions. If you miss the old school hover gaggles, then attend more 3D-based events. Hover gaggles aren't dead. You just ain't looking in the right places. :p

We all like flying at Joe Nall, but if we start getting really out of control as far as rule-bending goes, then we'll lose the 3D line. All it takes is one accident from rule-bending to lose it for everybody. Just look at Mac Hodges' last B-29 crash in Delaware last year. We all know Mac is a very capable pilot with his B-29 and he wasn't breaking any rules, but even something as simple as equipment failure can cause some serious damage. That was at a warbird event and Mac was taking off with a B-29, which is one of the slowest flying warbirds in history. Can you imagine what damage it would cause if someone had equipment failure while flying a much lighter and quicker airplane, such as an Extreme Flight or 3DHS, while being at open throttle? Think about it.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I will add to this since my wife took the next to the pilot box video and I was standing right next to her. As soon as this happened I thought "oh here we go, going to hear about this". But, from front row center it was clear that it was a clean break away and when he came back around slow you could see that the second aileron former was not even damaged. Out at that tip you are talking about a 1/2" x 3/4" pc. of balsa, a couple of thin stringers and some covering. Very minor.

Someone else taking off an entire stab or control surface and flying.....that's just dumb anytime but especially at an event. I did not personally witness any of those particular incidences.

I'll freely admit I would be way more comfortable standing at the flight line with a pilot with that kind of skill flying an airplane with a chunk of of the aileron then I am with a lot of the FOGS at the field. They are WAY more dangerous. But I'm a better safe than sorry kind of guy. And I do agree, there is a big difference between the two events.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Not arguing the point, I guess the short of my long was we need everyone on the same page.
The line boss needs a megaphone and a large stick.

Wes is a great guy, but maybe he needs a "I'm the boss STFU hat".
:D
There are some times, I should say to some people, where the rules don't ever sink in. As a older guy I know says about his adult son that works for him, "all lessons need to be applied with a bat"

We had an incident at our clubs Big Bird Fly-in a few years ago where the rules were, if you wanted to hover in close, you had to be in front of "your" flight station. One guy had to be warned three times three different flights because he was hovering three stations down in front of another pilot. If I was the CD he would have been given one warning and if he did it again, he would have got the boot. He was at the pilots meeting, he knew the rules. One warning is enough. Well, we noticed a pattern on the third time he did it. He was hovering in front of the same guy every time. It turns out it was the president of a club that booted him out. He ended up getting booted out of our club as well.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The very point I was trying to bring out is: No one is "above the law". If that questionable flight was done as a Demo there would be NO controversy what so ever. Instead it was a private matter of PEER pressure and what "they" " thought" was fun and not dangerous. And if you have had any kind of social experience in your life time and are "normal" you more than likely have done something before engaging those tiny little cells inside your head. I have! you have! we all have! This little guy :devil-dance: wreaks havoc on those tiny cells and so does tiny bubbles! Not saying :cheers: involved. But tiny bubbles had a way of making me stupid. But then again I think sometimes that's my birth name. I'm always hearing "Hey Stupid" do it over there!!! Whut???
My intentions are not to :devil: on a professional RC pilot.

Back at the ranch...:deadhorse:here.

Last edited:

SleepyC

150cc
Hey guys while I was taking a business call this afternoon apparently Mr. Hartness called my phone and left a message saying that they indeed caught the person who did the fire on Friday and they spoke to that person for a lengthy amount of time. The person has already done punishment work and is out to make amends with Mr. Hartness personally and Triple Tree. Mr. Hartness is personally going to monitor the person over the next few years and make sure that they're on the right path, Mr. pat assured everyone that the person knows they made an awful decision and that every action has a reaction. So if Mr. Pat can find forgiveness in his heart for whoever did this we should too. So at the end of the day the lesson to be learned is be in control of yourself, always think about what you're going to do and always treat Triple Tree with the respect it deserves.

There is only one place like it on earth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk