• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

AKfreak

150cc
I installed the tail section control surfaces. Again I taped the hinge point to protect it from the epoxy. I taped it in such a way that I can remove it easily. See the images for how I did it.

13262201814_02a64d4cc9_c.jpg

I tape one half of the joint at a time.

13262201734_d5d61bb6c7_c.jpg
[/url]
Horizontal Stabilzer Hinging of the Tail Section-3
This is what it looks like with it all taped up, and ready for hinge install.

13261991263_51642d6276_c.jpg

13261854075_0d9ae41e78_c.jpg

First I glued in the hinges on the plane side first, and when they dried I glued the control surfaces and taped them into place so they would not back off.

Now I wait 30 mins so I can remove the tape and flex the hinges. I may need to remove excess epoxy before it is way to hard to do anything with. Only time will tell.

AKfreak

150cc
Ok I just pulled the tape, and measured the deflection of the surfaces. The elevator has 55 degrees up and almost 60 down, the Rudder has 47 degrees both ways until it just touches the elevator. Well its not as much as I have seen in the EF MSX, but it has decent throws, more then what the manual calls for. The best thing is there is no gaps to speak of between the control surfaces.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
My guess is something like this...

A higher cell count more means better efficiency since you dont have to draw as many amps to get the same power. This means less heat as well since batteries are not pushed to their limits. Less energy lost to heat and components may last longer.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Sorry, I do understand that higher voltage is more efficeint. It was just my take that this size plane does very well on 6s so why not take advantage of the lighter weight?

3dNater

You can do it without much of a weight hit. Because you are running more cells you can also run lower Mah for the same flight time.

AKfreak

150cc
This electric thing is a huge balancing act. First off lets establish that as voltage decreases, apmerage increases (it's how all electrical systems work). Also the higher the current draw, the more heat. Heat is energy, energy that's wasted in the form of radiation and not thrust, thus an efficienty loss. Also battery's have two voltages we are concerned with, an at rest voltage, and an under load voltage. The slower we drain the batteries the more time we can fly. Also the longer we can maintain higher under load voltages means longer periods of burst power.

The idea behind the 12 cell set up is to increase voltage which in return lowers amperage (current). Current is what provides us the raw power we are looking for( the more current the more power). The question is how much raw power, and better yet, how long is that raw power available to us.

To make it simple, view your battery as a pinched garden hose with the water turned all the way on, yet the water supply is being pumped from a five gallon bucket(mah). With a low voltage setup (6S) you have to open the pintched hose 1/2 way to get the same same water pressure (current) as a high voltage (12s) that's opened only 1/4 of the way. As you can see, the five gallon bucket will run out much quicker with the low voltage setup than the high volage one.

Put another way, on a 6s setup, your battery's are working much harder to supply current as compared to a 12S setup. Lower current draw that yeilds the same power (thrust) makes for a more efficent system. Remember this is all a blacning act, right. With a higher cell count pack (12s) used on the same motor as the 6s setup, the rpm's of the motor would double and send the current draws (amperage) throughout the roof. To maintain balance, the winding is changed in the motor to a lower KV, thus maintaining the same rpm's as the 6s setup. In the end you have the same power, (maybe a little more depending on the actual motor wind) but you gain efficienty which equates to longer flight times, longer burst power, and less wear on your battery packs. But there is more, battery packs and weight.

In order to maintain a proper flying weight, you might have to buy different packs. Example, I already have like 10 5000mah 6s packs. I use them in several of my planes and multirotors. I plan to test 2 of the 5000mah packs as 12s setup in my plane, but if the weight is too much I will be forced to buy a bunch of smaller (3700mah) 6s packs. I made this decision going into the build and before I ever bought the motor. It took me a whole to wrap my head around the implications of a 12s system, but I the end I felt the reward was worth having to buy different packs. I have even thought of buying a bunch of 3s and making custom packs.

Lastly I just want to say I am no expert. I am just an old ham radio guy thats been playing with electritiy sice i was a kid. What I wrote above is my understanding of things, if I provided wrong or inaccurate information I hope someone will step in and set me straight. So there you have it, a long winded answer for what in my case could of simply been said, "because it's just better" :)

3dNater

[MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION], that all agrees with my hobby grade un-expert knowledge as well :D