• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion The I’m going out flying thread 2018

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Life does have a way of getting us sidetracked doesn't it? Just glad you found your way home. Wow...that is a bunch of really...REALLY nice birds. Looks as though you all had a very nice turn out. That is so awesome. Loved looking at all those awesome "man toys".

Be sure you pop in more frequently huh?
I should be around more now.

Yeah it was good to see a fair number of people show up. With all the foam Warbirds out there now that fly well it sure helps the turn out. It would be great if they were all big gassers, but it's cool none the less. There were a few big gas Warbirds there. There was one P51b that I fell in love with pretty quick.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Good to hear from you glad to see you are still flying your racer.
I plopped it in a bit Sunday and it tweaked the gear a little. They don't look bent, but I noticed the wheels are a little farther apart when I set it in the wheel chocks that are mounted in the bed of my truck. It's not much, but I think I'm going to pull it apart and check it out. None of it's been apart since I built it so I'd like to check a few things anyway.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I plopped it in a bit Sunday and it tweaked the gear a little. They don't look bent, but I noticed the wheels are a little farther apart when I set it in the wheel chocks that are mounted in the bed of my truck. It's not much, but I think I'm going to pull it apart and check it out. None of it's been apart since I built it so I'd like to check a few things anyway.
It sounds like you transport all your planes in the back of a pickup truck. How do like it and how big are the planes you do this with and how do you deal with rain. I presently have a minivan works great but just tiered of it and keep looking at the new Toyota Tacoma but does not look good for transporting planes bigger than 50cc.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It sounds like you transport all your planes in the back of a pickup truck. How do like it and how big are the planes you do this with and how do you deal with rain. I presently have a minivan works great but just tiered of it and keep looking at the new Toyota Tacoma but does not look good for transporting planes bigger than 50cc.
Airplane size normally isn't an issue other than wear to put the wings if it's a standard cab truck like my S10. Rain on the other hand, is a big problem when you are 30 minutes or so from the field. I had to leave our Warbird event in a hurry Sunday to keep from getting wet. Some of the guys got poured on.

Here is my 35% Extra in the 6' bed of my S10, and my buddies 40% Sukhoi in the super small bed of his F150. The F150 bed is quite a bit shorter than mine and it still works fine. 35% is about as large as I can go because the wings go in the cab with me and with the 35% Extra wings it's a full house.

downloadfile-2.jpeg
downloadfile-1.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Airplane size normally isn't an issue other than wear to put the wings if it's a standard cab truck like my S10. Rain on the other hand, is a big problem when you are 30 minutes or so from the field. I had to leave our Warbird event in a hurry Sunday to keep from getting wet. Some of the guys got poured on.

Here is my 35% Extra in the 6' bed of my S10, and my buddies 40% Sukhoi in the super small bed of his F150. The F150 bed is quite a bit shorter than mine and it still works fine. 35% is about as large as I can go because the wings go in the cab with me and with the 35% Extra wings it's a full house.

View attachment 103533 View attachment 103534
The piece of wood on the tailgate that is screwed down on the tailgate. Second question how do prevent the tailgate from bouncing up and down. Looking at the pictures both of you have removed the stabilizers, why it does not seem necessary for width.
Looks like rain can be big problem need to think about that one.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
The piece of wood on the tailgate that is screwed down on the tailgate. Second question how do prevent the tailgate from bouncing up and down. Looking at the pictures both of you have removed the stabilizers, why it does not seem necessary for width.
Looks like rain can be big problem need to think about that one.
That is the glory of driving a rusty 23 year old truck to the field. If I need to mount something to the bed floor I just screw it down.:lol2:

My tailgate isn't too bouncy, but the one on my buddies F150 bounces pretty good some times, but only when he's hauling his 35% Extra with the main gear on the gate. He doesn't need wood to tie his gear to the gate He ties it to the fold up handle that Fords have for the tailgate step.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is the glory of driving a rusty 23 year old truck to the field. If I need to mount something to the bed floor I just screw it down.:lol2:

My tailgate isn't too bouncy, but the one on my buddies F150 bounces pretty good some times, but only when he's hauling his 35% Extra with the main gear on the gate. He doesn't need wood to tie his gear to the gate He ties it to the fold up handle that Fords have for the tailgate step.
Thanks for all that I really have to think about bad weather. I live a good hour from the field and that is taking a chance I think I should not do. I do know that I do not want to do the trailer thing just to much hassle and I cannot park it my neighbourhood. Thanks.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for all that I really have to think about bad weather. I live a good hour from the field and that is taking a chance I think I should not do. I do know that I do not want to do the trailer thing just to much hassle and I cannot park it my neighbourhood. Thanks.
You could always get a big van like @Xpress uses.

I always carry a trash bag and some blue tape just in case the weather turns. I spent a good hour in under a gas station awning with 2 dune buggies and a bunch of motorcycles waiting for it to quit raining on a day when there was no rain in the forecast. :(

Rain 1 (2).jpg
Rain 2 (1).jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Bring a roll of plastic drop cloth and a stretchy chord, If an unexpected rain flurry ensues, burrito the plane in plastic and use a stretchy chord to keep it on and flapping in the breeze.
You may be able to use a PVC pipe, slit it down the middle and slip it over the tailgate support cable, and tape it in place, or you can just tape a tube or piece of wood to it to keep the tailgate from flopping
I feel your pain when it comes to bad weather... I technically live in a rainforest...