• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
That's awesome Terry. Is your go pro mounted inside on the instrument panel or on top?

I mounted it on top. I'll probably put another mount under the wing close to the fuse as that makes a pretty cool shot as well. Especially for touch and goes. Vid is processing, I'm going to give it a half hour or so and I'll post it.

3D-Joy

50cc
Beware, if its a gopro that has bluetooth or wi-fi make sure to turn it off before taking off. It can (eventually WILL) mess up with our 2.4 signals. The reason being its very close to our receiver while our transmitter is super far. Theres one guy in our club that crashed his extreme flight 104'' extra with a go pro black edition on board.

We take for granted our awesome 2.4 technology but it appears we still have to understand a few things to make it work flawlessly.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Beware, if its a gopro that has bluetooth or wi-fi......

I've heard of this, but also seen it work without issues. Not saying that it can't bring your plane down though!
For me, not an issue because I have a Hero 2 that is old as the hills and none of that new fangled stuff;).

I got a two minute deadstick out of this one, and the flight after it was a solid three minute but I had the camera set for time-lapse (oops). When I drop the ailerons as flaps but about 30 degrees it just hangs and does not descend as fast. We will do this again next time I get a chance to see if I can get a 3 minute + deadstick landing.

Last edited:

Yakman

70cc twin V2
Wow intreresting, never thought of a deadstick flight lasting that long. I guess i always try to get the plane down quick.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
You can do that when you have all that wide open area to land! At our field, if you are not on the actual runway, the minimum you'll do is rip your gear out on the smaller planes. On the bigger planes, you might get away with it at low speeds, but I've seen way too many of them flip over or lose gear to risk it. Hopefully our new runway and surrounding area will be more forgiving!

graduallycow

New to GSN!
Just took so killer footage from my black and white Extra 330lx with my Gopro. I've found the video quality is really sensitive to mounting method and engine tuning. I've got a smoooth running DA 100l and a vibration isolating mount for the Gopro so the quality is really nice even with the engine running. My favorite thing to do is fly super loow and graze the grass and clover at my field.

Yoou moo guys have probably herd this before, but be careful the moounting location for the Gooproo doesn't interfere with your cooontrool surfaces. Moo ootherwise flying difficulty moo coould end up pasture moo capabilities moo.

Moo check ooout my moo videooo. Moo I've moo been woorking moo oon my crankshafts moo moo and yooou mooo mooo moo can mooo really moo see prooogress moo. Moo up mooo mooo mooo mooo blender mooo mooo mooo mooo mooo moo mooo moooo moooo moo. Moo mooo mooo mooo mooo trim mooo mooo mooo mooo mooo mooo. Moo mooo mooo mooo