• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

Alky6

150cc
Here we go again!! It is another absolutely gorgeous day out!! Maybe 3mph wind if that even, kinda hard to believe for SW Kansas!!! I got my li'l purple beast out, and we're doing some flying!!
727576078fd49923f397b94520daa99e.jpg
Hey, that looks just like my flying field....except mine's got winter wheat all over it!

ericrs

70cc twin V2
Hey, that looks just like my flying field....except mine's got winter wheat all over it!
Ya that's the field road between a couple of my Dad's fields. Problem is I can't fly there in the summer because there is corn planted all around there. I like it in the winter time tho when all you can get is a quick flight or two in. Plus it's only a mile away.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
No body flies with gyros. If they have one in the plane the gyro is doing the flying.

Actually no, unless there is an active recovery flight system (like ACT or SAFE) then the gyro doesn't fly the airplane. All it simply does is eliminates any of the oscillations or bumps in the air from wind or turbulence or otherwise a poor flying model. YOU still have to tell the airplane where to fly, the gyro can't fly it for you. Left completely to the gyro's discretion, the airplane would eventually fly into the ground.

I still won't fly with one because it's just extra weight to me :oblong:

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Yep....Still got to fly the plane but it does allow for some real fun with a foamy. As a matter of fact I have been training an older fella with a QQ300 and all the gyro is doing is "stabilizing" and allowing the airframe to have better than trainer like qualities. When the fella over controls......well I have to take over and explain his mistake just as if no gyro was there.
The down side to the gyro IMO is it can give a false sense of self confidence to the novice flyer. I will Not fly to low in KE! lol
0219161112-00.jpg
0219161113-00.jpg

rmyers

70cc twin V2
I think this technology has a place in the hobby. Unfortunately it has also aided in the multi-rotor explosion where people who don't know how to fly are getting away with it. Warbirds, jets, helis can all benefit. Competition precision aerobatics like IMAC or Pattern? Probably never as you would have to get 100% acceptance to level the playing field. I've got it in my big E-Flite T-28 and kind of have to fight it. But then a T-28 wasn't really meant to fly the IMAC Basic. It sure makes me look like a better pilot with that plane. Looking forward to trying it in my QQ Extra. It flew well without the gyro on the maiden. You can always turn it off.