• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Kool Kanary (Giant Hot Kanary)

Bipeguy03

150cc
Last night I sprayed the Dakota Black Butyrate down for the pinstripes, finally some color!!!

I did learn something though. The extra work and waste of spraying the fill coats of clear butyrate isn't worth the results. I can still see the brush marks from just the 2 light coats I did first. And I used an entire quart of clear to get the same amount of dope on the airplane as I did on the Krier (which is bigger) and I only used 2/3's of a quart for it. Lots of dope ended up on the floor for nothing.

So I guess the only way to completely eliminate brush marks is to spray 12 or more coats of dope or use Silver which is too heavy. If I wanna keep it light, I gotta deal with some imperfections. No biggie, I think my Krier looks pretty good and really, I only have to satisfy myself :)

WP_20180203_001.jpg

WP_20180203_002.jpg

Bipeguy03

150cc
When someone says "nice paint job" they should really say "nice mask job". Masking is definitely the most tedious part of any finishing job, but it's also often the difference between a good paint job and a not so good one.

Tonight I just about got the pinstripes masked, I just have to finish the tail. All are 1/8" with the exception of the stab root which is 1/16".

Most of my time was spent making sure that all of the ends meet from one side to the other. Symmetry is a beautiful thing :)

Hopefully finish the masking and get the white sprayed tomorrow.

WP_20180203_003.jpg

WP_20180203_004.jpg
WP_20180203_006.jpg
WP_20180203_005.jpg
WP_20180203_007.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Now I am kicking myself for deciding to use Ultracote on the 330. Why didn't I decide to use the paint method like you? Oh yea, cuz I suck at painting. LOL....
Looks great so far. Really anxious to see more color on this awesome bird.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I am surprised how well the white covered the black there is not even a hint of black showing. That must have taken a few coats but it is starting to look like a plane. Nice work.

Bipeguy03

150cc
It actually covers quite well, there is only 3 LIGHT coats (probably the equivalent of 2 normal coats) of white on the whole airframe. I've found that base coat will cover just as well as dope, just have to be patient and not pour the paint to it to try and cover it up on the first shot.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It actually covers quite well, there is only 3 LIGHT coats (probably the equivalent of 2 normal coats) of white on the whole airframe. I've found that base coat will cover just as well as dope, just have to be patient and not pour the paint to it to try and cover it up on the first shot.
Sad but true as it is. I discovered that same thing..."AFTER" I burned off a complete can of paint to cover a color I didn't want to show. Sad truth was, the color still showed through. Doah! Recent projects layed evidence that a few lighter coats covers much better than one heavy coat. Now see? Aint ya'll glad I don't paint for a livin'? My poor lil buddy would be begging the alley cats to bring him some dinner.
hearty-laugh.gif