• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

Alky6

150cc
Well even I know that answer Paul. He has this mystical way about him dontchya know? He simply looks at the surfaces and they just....bevel themselves. :LOL_gif:

Your new Dalton is looking great Cam.
Indeed Rob! I could use a little bit of Cam's wonderful mystique! Maybe he can come and look at mine, 'cause I am waaaaay over the sanding business!!!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Indeed Rob! I could use a little bit of Cam's wonderful mystique! Maybe he can come and look at mine, 'cause I am waaaaay over the sanding business!!!!!
Sanding is one of those things ya either love or ya hate. It does get tedious. I look at sanding in this way. I'm "forcefully grinding" beauty into a chunk of wood. Hee hee. I'd be lost without my "t" bar sanders.

Hello Paul, the way I do it, is I delineate the area that has to be removed using rulers and a fine tip sharpie. Then, I use a planer to debulk it, and then sand it down with those great planes sanding blocks. I will take pictures of it, in detail, when I do the fin/rudder.

In the past, It was quite intimidating for me to do, and I dreaded it, but after having built 5 giant scale airplanes now, it has become easy and reproducible. The first time I ever did it, I said to myself, I never want to do this again!!

Funny how things change.

Alky6

150cc
Hello Paul, the way I do it, is I delineate the area that has to be removed using rulers and a fine tip sharpie. Then, I use a planer to debulk it, and then sand it down with those great planes sanding blocks. I will take pictures of it, in detail, when I do the fin/rudder.

In the past, It was quite intimidating for me to do, and I dreaded it, but after having built 5 giant scale airplanes now, it has become easy and reproducible. The first time I ever did it, I said to myself, I never want to do this again!!

Funny how things change.
Thank you Cam! I am using a similar method, and would still appreciate the photos! Being my first GS airplane, it appears I am at the same point you were - dreading it... LOL! Any refinements and advice you could provide, I will most certainly take!!! Further, looking forward to the easy part as this definitely will not be my last GS build. Still dreaming about how to get that wing mounted in the milling machine! LOL

Was able to cut out the fin, using the technique by Tom Wheeler.

IMG_0686.JPG
IMG_0687.JPG
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG
IMG_0691.JPG

A tip someone told me on the beveling once is to take a note card and draw 2 perpendicular lines (A and B) using a square so they're at 90 degrees. Then figure out what angle your bevels need to be at and add those lines (C and C') to the card. Cut out the triangular shape on the card and use the first 2 lines (A and B) to line up the card on the outer edges of the surface (I.E. square it to the surface). Wherever the two angular lines (C and C') you drew meet balsa, mark that spot. Take a straight edge and connect the two marks and boom, you'll have the same angle from end to end.

Alky6

150cc
A tip someone told me on the beveling once is to take a note card and draw 2 perpendicular lines (A and B) using a square so they're at 90 degrees. Then figure out what angle your bevels need to be at and add those lines (C and C') to the card. Cut out the triangular shape on the card and use the first 2 lines (A and B) to line up the card on the outer edges of the surface (I.E. square it to the surface). Wherever the two angular lines (C and C') you drew meet balsa, mark that spot. Take a straight edge and connect the two marks and boom, you'll have the same angle from end to end.

I like it. Been using similar triangles on mine. Measure the thickness of the LE or TE inboard and outboard. Yours is simple in that wherever you use, it gives you the correct distance in. Very simple.