• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

My wife had some company over, so I could not write much,
but here is the flight report.

Got to the club and set up. Once my friend arrived, we did a range check, and also checked all the surfaces.

Now, a prelude. Being that I currently am flying a Dalton 300 ML, when I set up the radio, all I did was copy the model, 300 ML, and renamed it, then I programmed the 300 SP, based on the settings from the 300 ML.

SO, it already had the flat turn mix, the downline mix, triple rates, and the logical switches, telemetry settings , and the alarms!

Made it so easy!!

ok, on the 1st flight, immediately upon take off, i made a note of two unique occurrences:

1. the obvious - the airplane was climbing. I had to give it a good amount of down trim to fly level. Once that was done, she was flying very well and straight.

2. motor was apparently very very strong, much stronger than my other two da 200's. So when I did an upline, the alarm came on, telling me temps were over 300 F. SO I powered down, and flew level, then alarm turned off. I then did another upline, and again, one cylinder, temp was over 300, so I immediately landed.

the 1st flight, I was not able to do much, being that I was concerned over the temp.

what I did: we opened up the needles, and found this baby was quite lean. Once we tuned it on the ground, then she began to run great, and also temps stayed under 300.

ok, flight number 2
I began to do some tests. 1st was the 45 degree climb, and then roll inverted, and see what happens. did this at least 4 times, and each time, seems she curved slightly towards the canopy (or towards the earth), indicating mild nose heaviness.

Then, I did an upline, and straight as an arrow. did not pull to the left, or the right.

flew her inverted, and noticed, to maintain level, needed just a real minimum of a push. SO this was ok.

then, I flew her level, and cut power off, and each time, the nose pitched down. in the video posted, this can be seen.

It also gave it an unusual feel anytime I did a loop or anything where I come over, and bring power down all the way, that it was wanting to go past vertical down. SO it required a good amount of up elevator to pull out.

Flight number 3, I did make adjustments to the needles and to the flat turn mix. We were pressed for time, and I will need to address this.

but otherwise, she flies very nice. To me, seems like it flies better than the 300 ML.

Dirt

50cc
Flight report to come soon...

Great maiden Cam!! Yeah, I should have told you that almost every PRO requires two of Ron Bullard's thin shims of down thrust!! Other than that how do you think it flys? Does it slow down on the downlines better or worse than the Dalton?

WMcNabb

150cc
Congratulations on the maiden! And thank you for bringing us along through your build thread.

Looking forward to the next one, or two.

Rusty 73

100cc
Great test flight i wish mine were as smooth , you look like a pro :too-cool:flying and putting it through maneavors .
Those engine temp probes helped pay for themselves , got love the Jeti stuff:attaboy:
Very smooth flying machine i have enjoyed watching and learning from your build thread thanks again Cam :way_to_go:

Great test flight i wish mine were as smooth , you look like a pro :too-cool:flying and putting it through maneavors .
Those engine temp probes helped pay for themselves , got love the Jeti stuff:attaboy:
Very smooth flying machine i have enjoyed watching and learning from your build thread thanks again Cam :way_to_go:

thank you all very much.

That telemetry stuff is very helpful (at least to me), especially during set up, for example,

that 1st flight, the left front cylinder was the warmest, followed by the left rear, then the right cylinders front and back were cool (relative speaking)., This morning, I removed the cowl, and noticed the gaps between the baffle plate and the left cylinders were in the range of 1/2" to 3/4", and the right cylinders, it was about 1/4".

SO i just fixed this, with very thin G10 material, and paint, (not noticeable now), and the gap is down to 1/8 or less.

I will also add a small lip to the bottom where the cowl is open, and then retest to see what happens to temp.

Once the temp situation is all taken care of, then you really need not look at the temps, unless you are tuning the motor, and wanting to know if it is running hot (lets say on uplines or hovering).

Once you know how it is behaving, especially in this summer heat, then you need not worry for the rest of the year. On my other Dalton, I have removed the temp sensors, since it is so reliable and consistent, temp wise, over 300 flights, temps never got over 290 F.

More fun to come!!

Wish you all a very happy 4th of July.

Cam