• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I could not figure out the 3W wiring, even Gerhard could not tell me how it worked. Just another reason I went to the RCEXCEL, it is much easier to time and has a nice (useable) rpm connection. It can also easily be timed and tested with the RCEXCEL tools.
Did set and check and set the timing on your 3W ignition. If did how did you do it.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Big improvement like it.
Version #3
65E6080F-46E1-426E-8611-40223F57A8F6.jpeg
Original:
986A5B50-BAC7-48DD-8193-5D306E5BA0EC.jpeg

All of them together. Told you the first one was huge ha ha

4BC33E06-BEE0-49FF-8381-A8F82A9E0D97.jpeg 0E579495-7BA6-45B0-8BE8-4AA682F4D431.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok decided to take the 3W-42 apart. And yes once again one reed was badly cracked and the second one had a piece missing. So tried to remove and the support for the reeds it was glued into the crankcase. Could not remove the reeds with out pulling the reeds support out.. so now I have glue the reed support back into the crankcase. Have now idea what glue to use that will stand up to gasoline inside the crankcase, can someone suggest a glue that will do the job please, Thanks.
All I can say what a stupid way of installing reeds into an engine.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't believe they should be glued in, a sealant yes but not glue. You really need to call Gerhard, 772-283-1333, and get all the "correct" answers you need. With your issues I would box it up and send it to him, let the pro get it sorted out and running like a scalded dog.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't believe they should be glued in, a sealant yes but not glue. You really need to call Gerhard, 772-283-1333, and get all the "correct" answers you need. With your issues I would box it up and send it to him, let the pro get it sorted out and running like a scalded dog.

Tried to get I touch with him but he is closed right now till the 18th. Believe he is on vacation, when he gets back I will definitely be calling him for help.
Acer would you by any chance know of a sealant that can be used in that location. Thanks again for your support.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Tried to get I touch with him but he is closed right now till the 18th. Believe he is on vacation, when he gets back I will definitely be calling him for help.
Acer would you by any chance know of a sealant that can be used in that location. Thanks again for your support.
After looking your engine up and seeing how that section is assembled, I can not say it is a sealant or some type of glue. I like the Permatex line of sealants but one need's to know what type and not knowing what your parts are made of or how they interact with each other I have no idea of the type, silicon, rubber, or a specialty mix. On a side note, the carb or intake assembly has nothing to do with getting good fire. I highly suggest you wait until you can speak with Gerhard or at least someone whom knows 3W well enough to advise you.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
After looking your engine up and seeing how that section is assembled, I can not say it is a sealant or some type of glue. I like the Permatex line of sealants but one need's to know what type and not knowing what your parts are made of or how they interact with each other I have no idea of the type, silicon, rubber, or a specialty mix. On a side note, the carb or intake assembly has nothing to do with getting good fire. I highly suggest you wait until you can speak with Gerhard or at least someone whom knows 3W well enough to advise you.
Thanks for the help, and yes I going to wait for Gerhard he has always been very helpful. Yes mailing an engine to the USA Can be painful because of Canadian customs and duty, you always try to fix it your self if you can.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the help, and yes I going to wait for Gerhard he has always been very helpful. Yes mailing an engine to the USA Can be painful because of Canadian customs and duty, you always try to fix it your self if you can.
Did not think about having to ship cross the border, that sucks! I have no doubt you can fix it yourself, with a little help or advice from someone smarter than I.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did not think about having to ship cross the border, that sucks! I have no doubt you can fix it yourself, with a little help or advice from someone smarter than I.
Thanks @acerc it’s not a matter of being smarter it just has someone done it and what is the correct glue or sealant to use, thanks again.