• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been debating with FutabaUSA. LOL. If your FCC sticker is no longer stuck to your receiver they will not replace your antenna unless you have proof of purchase in which they will.... (I forsee stickers being peeled off and restuck to a different reciever, or sending a proof of purchase for another reciever even if it's not the same one). They will not sell me antennas because they are not approved yet.... Strange, I have an FCC licence and it's just a coax cut and stripped to length. Looks like I'm am going to source myself out to ebay. Might even make my own. LOL cheaper than buying another receiver. Disappointing I cannot just buy one from them. What's this world coming to?
That is just being stupid.

BalsaDust

That is just being stupid.

Just the way some of them are. Buddy of mine has a DX8 that the backlight has stopped working on. Horizon says they will fix it if he sends it back to them but are not allowed to sell him the part to fix it himself. For what ever reason the backlit LCD is only able to be sold in Europe.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Just the way some of them are. Buddy of mine has a DX8 that the backlight has stopped working on. Horizon says they will fix it if he sends it back to them but are not allowed to sell him the part to fix it himself. For what ever reason the backlit LCD is only able to be sold in Europe.

I probably could have gotten a better answer if I just called. Wonder what it would take to re-certify an RC component with an FCC sticker? My experience here tells me that Futaba USA is very limited in what they can do right now. They don't even have antennas!! He told me to send it in and the turn around time would be 6-7 weeks.... The problem being if it's not a US FCC certified whatever, service will be denied. Either they are under the microscope, or simply don't have the resources. I'm not sTupId. It took me ten seconds to take the antenna off just now, find one on ebay, and order it. So take that! LOL

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I’ve been plugging away at the Pietenpol. Took me the better part of two weeks to design and build this magnetic hatch for the top of the fuse. Way too long but I’m happy with the results. It has plenty of ventilation for the Hacker A-40 and allows access to what I hope will be the battery compartment. Won’t know for sure till I get a little farther along and I’m able to start playing with the CG.

C49D7F31-B855-43A3-A16B-E7AD2984CFD8.jpeg
0607A99F-DB59-4C69-8C07-D2384AC6CFD5.jpeg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I went out to the field Saturday and helped on the pavilion project. I'm not a ladder kind of guy so I figured I should go help when they were cutting sheet metal on the ground. We had a good crew of guys working and got a lot done. We stopped because it was getting windy and one of the next tasks is putting up the 12' long sheeting on the roof.

It's going really well considering it's a bunch of amateurs and it's a 20' by 80' pavilion. Here are some pics from Saturday which was the fifth day of construction.

69227228_1514167155391705_6609050711072178176_n.jpg
69008294_1514167322058355_951952700562472960_n.jpg
69516275_1514174882057599_3881598507898896384_o.jpg
69349064_1514174942057593_3487245120565149696_o.jpg
69558297_1514175022057585_1756161390885732352_o.jpg

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
@Jetpainter ,
The pavilion is looking great! Are you guys going to pour concrete under it?
For the now it will remain grass, but there is talk of some used Astroturf. We have another expenditure coming up. They are ordering the Geotex this week to do the North South runway.
I have mixed emotions about adding the Geotex on that side. Right now the gassers pretty much have that side to ourselves. But I also want to fly more jets and the wind direction favors the North South.

BalsaDust

Side job day. My younger brother works for a company that inspects and services water towers. They needed some electrical work done installing a mixer and circulating pump in this tank. So we get to run 1” rigid conduit up the side of the tank leg today. Brought my UMX timber hoping to fly at lunch but not enough air space to be able to do so.
CB491137-625A-41CC-B92B-F154EBB7B453.jpeg
74C54F3A-B4E6-4C02-984C-C42C258C1907.jpeg
44802F70-BAF4-499F-BEA2-07F21D90BB8C.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It has been cold, raining a windy the last couple of days and all my plane maintenance was update. So looked at the Timber and thought let’s see if we can get a start on E-Power box for the motor. No photos as of now that will be coming soon.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I've been debating with FutabaUSA. LOL. If your FCC sticker is no longer stuck to your receiver they will not replace your antenna unless you have proof of purchase in which they will.... (I forsee stickers being peeled off and restuck to a different reciever, or sending a proof of purchase for another reciever even if it's not the same one). They will not sell me antennas because they are not approved yet.... Strange, I have an FCC licence and it's just a coax cut and stripped to length. Looks like I'm am going to source myself out to ebay. Might even make my own. LOL cheaper than buying another receiver. Disappointing I cannot just buy one from them. What's this world coming to?

When I saw stuff like this happening it was usually because the FCC was sue happy and went after the manufacturer real hard. They're probably just trying to cover their rears :confused: