• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

Also what helps if put a good coat of any household paint on all the ends it prevents the wood from splitting on the ends. Normally we we do it as soon as the tree is cut. Just any old house paint will work.

Yeah I put one coat on when the trees where cut and it soaked it up. Need to add more actually.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well had a chance to mount the 3W on the test stand late last night. Hopefully if the weather cooperates I will be able to see if it runs properly on Saturday and if it is does it can be reinstalled back into the pattern ship. Pictures to follow.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ran the engine it ran great for about 4 minutes then everything went for a sh1*. Motor has to stripped again to see what is going on , the only thing positive is that the ignition works great and the carburetor . I believe the red RTV has let go, will see later on to day .

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ran the engine it ran great for about 4 minutes then everything went for a sh1*. Motor has to stripped again to see what is going on , the only thing positive is that the ignition works great and the carburetor . I believe the red RTV has let go, will see later on to day .
If the RTV gave way I would suggest Permatex type 2...

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

If the RTV gave way I would suggest Permatex type 2...

You could use a flameseal/proseal/chemseal alternative too.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/chemseal09-04612.php

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well stripped the motor down and sure enough the RTV had let go. Also stripped the head off and checked the piston rings they were great looked like new. So back together again but used what 3W Germany recommended. Put it back together. Back on the test stand and it ran great . So letting it cool down and will putting it back into the 50cc pattern plane. Hope it done for Sunday flying if the weather is ok.
@AKNick and @acerc thanks for the help and suggestions if it dies tomorrow while flying I will try the stuff you guys are suggesting. Aknick the stuff you recommended looks very promising it says all the right things.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well stripped the motor down and sure enough the RTV had let go. Also stripped the head off and checked the piston rings they were great looked like new. So back together again but used what 3W Germany recommended. Put it back together. Back on the test stand and it ran great . So letting it cool down and will putting it back into the 50cc pattern plane. Hope it done for Sunday flying if the weather is ok.
@AKNick and @acerc thanks for the help and suggestions if it dies tomorrow while flying I will try the stuff you guys are suggesting. Aknick the stuff you recommended looks very promising it says all the right things.

Its great stuff, takes a bit of time to fully set up. They make different types of cure time and viscosities to consider. The 1/2 or 1/4 would be the way to go (set up time 1/2hr-1/4hr) and wait a day or two before using. A or B stand for viscosity, A would be the brushable thinner stuff. B1/2 is pretty common. This stuff is used for sealing aircraft windows and aluminum lap joints for pressurization, and composite seams for sealing. It stinks like swamp arse... you've been warned. It's excellent for fuel related stuff. I have literally used it on a aluminum fuel tank with a thick fiberglass matt over a crack before. The stuff works. Remember the gray sealant that fortitude used on their older fuel tank caps? Yeah... that's the stuff.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Its great stuff, takes a bit of time to fully set up. They make different types of cure time and viscosities to consider. The 1/2 or 1/4 would be the way to go (set up time 1/2hr-1/4hr) and wait a day or two before using. A or B stand for viscosity, A would be the brushable thinner stuff. B1/2 is pretty common. This stuff is used for sealing aircraft windows and aluminum lap joints for pressurization, and composite seams for sealing. It stinks like swamp arse... you've been warned. It's excellent for fuel related stuff. I have literally used it on a aluminum fuel tank with a thick fiberglass matt over a crack before. The stuff works. Remember the gray sealant that fortitude used on their older fuel tank caps? Yeah... that's the stuff.
Thanks again hopefully what I did earlier today works if not I will have buy some the stuff you are describing