• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I have heard of people using a mixture of alcohol and baking soda and make a paste. Supposedly you can spread it on and the alcohol will evaporate and the baking soda will soak up the fuel?

Flyingjon

70cc twin V2
That makes sense. I heard if a solution that worked like that back when I still flew glow. I just couldn't remember what the mixture was. I have oil dry on it now, but I might try that yet.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
The wing struts that came with my Redwing Stinson Reliant didn't match the plane at all. Instead of covering or paint, they were covered in red heat shrink tube. Also they were very blocky looking. Not at all aerodynamic. So today I peeled off the shrink tube, reshaped and recovered them with Ultracote. Huge improvement I think.
As an added bonus, each one is now over 5 grams lighter.:way_to_go:

Before recover.
image.jpg

And after.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Much better now.
image.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Heat shrink? Whatever. You did the right thing.
Thanks bro.

Ya that's the first time I've seen heat shrink tube on wing struts. But that's definitely what it was. Looked like some industrial extra heavy duty stuff. Very thick. I guess it was quick and easy. But looked like total crap.

Robbins

Team WTFO (Watch The Fun Occur)
What's the best way to get most of the fuel out of wood? The guy I bought it from put a 4titude in it and it leaked!!!!!!!! [emoji35][emoji37]

Is there any solution??
Buy can of k2r
Spray on oil soaked aera
vaccum with bristle brush next day

also, try adding heat gun on high after the second try. Youll get most of it out but its work.