• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I installed a new gear set in the rudder servo on my Wild Tiger profile. It stripped when the carbon rod I installed for a tail skid broke. And I didn't notice till I taxied quite a ways dragging the rudder. Now I just have to figure out something different for a tail skid.
Hey Mike, May I make a suggestion for a tail skid? Remember those Dubro Wing Tip Skids from a few years ago that were made for all those guys that always brought their plane in on approach with one wing low? LOL..... anyway, after doing the repaired rudder on the Edge from all the tail dragging...hee hee, I put one of those on the bottom of the rudder. If I grind that off? No worries. Simply remove and replace. Would something like that work for ya?

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Hey Mike, May I make a suggestion for a tail skid? Remember those Dubro Wing Tip Skids from a few years ago that were made for all those guys that always brought their plane in on approach with one wing low? LOL..... anyway, after doing the repaired rudder on the Edge from all the tail dragging...hee hee, I put one of those on the bottom of the rudder. If I grind that off? No worries. Simply remove and replace. Would something like that work for ya?

Thanks and yes that crossed my mind. I actually have those in stock at the shop. But I don't think it will be quite tall enough on its own. Maybe I can build up a ramp with some lite-ply and cap it off with one of those skids.
I'll post a pic or two what ever I come up with.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Getting back into the tinkering mood. This past weekend has been unbelievable flying weather. Just so ya'll know. ;)
I did do a little maintenance and upkeep/updates on a couple of the planes in the Epley hanger. The big Sukhoi was in need of a few nice little touches. Replaced the ignition battery with a 7.4 Lipo. The LiIon was doing great, but I figured if some is good, more is better....right? Mah speaking of course.
View attachment 53865

I also had one more TDRC Vibramount for the ignition module, so I figured "why not"? Installed that and re-attached everything. I've come to really like those guys.
View attachment 53866 View attachment 53867

Lets see.... Oh yeah, I also replaced the klunks in my tank. Haven't had any issues, but realized I was not getting all the fuel out when I drained the tank. I figured I would put the "snorkel" tip klunks on as replacements. I have had superb success with these.
View attachment 53868

I noticed also that my custom tail gear fairing was getting a little ragged, so I removed it, cleaned it and repainted it. Originally it was painted the same color as the covering. Orange paint didn't hold up too well so I switched it up for some good looking Silver to match the pinstripe on the airframe. It kind of breaks things up a bit now. Not quite so "Orange" on the bottom. LOL
View attachment 53869 View attachment 53870

I've put a bunch of gas through the Pilot Edge so I decided before she gets retrofitted with the red headed CS twin, I would replace all the fuel tubing. After a year of flying her, the tubing was still in great shape. Just not shiny and fresh looking. We just can't be having no sexy red head hangin' out and depending on stale tubing now can we?:laughing:
View attachment 53871

I think tomorrow I will be getting back on the Dalton. I am finally back in the mood and so no time like the present right?

As a side note: If any of you with the H-9 Sukhoi would like to have one of the snazzy "full scale looking" tail gear fairings.... let me know. I would be happy to duplicate one for ya'll. Free of charge of course. Maybe @Robotech would like one for his brand new recovered Sukhoi huh?
Really like your tail cover it does look good. And hides the mounting brackets nicely done, what screws are you using .

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Here ya go @Robotech. Will send it out to you tomorrow.
Pretty easy to put on. Place on your fuse in general location. Mark and drill "crown" hole with 5/64" bit. Install that attachment fastener. Fold gently to match contour of bottom of fuse. Hold in place with hand or tape while drilling the remaining holes. Harden the holes with thin CA. Paint fairing. When cured, install with fasteners of your choice. Done. Lookin' awesome on that bitchin' red Sukhoi.
20160406_202803.jpg

Last step is very important that you do accurately. You must post photo of installed fairing. Otherwise it just won't look good.:laughing:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Now I'm thinking I need to make one of those tailgear fairings for the big Yak. So many things you can do on these planes to "bling" them up. Until then, I have to decide which Fromeco decals to place on the big Yakster.

What do you all think?

This?
20160406_155854.jpg

Or...."THIS"!!!???
20160406_155839.jpg