• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

Next little gift for the wife is done and they are sitting on a big ass picture frame I'm making to go with a world map she has been wanting.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
IMG_1405.JPG
Well got the throttle servo installed and have 120% either way took a little of bit work but got it in the end. Made up a carbon rod so that it does not change length during the summer and also installed one JR high precision servo so hopefully my ideal is constant throughout the season.

BalsaDust

After working on Christmas gifts for a while I got out an ARF that a club member had given me as he realized the wing loading was a little higher than he could handle. It's a Pheonix Models Strega 40 size with a 55" wingspan.

image.jpeg

First up is fitting the engine. Using an old os 50sx heli engine with the head milled to look like a normal engine. Fit perfect and didn't need to clearance the cowl at all to fit.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My buddy also included an article from a magazine on it. One thing I don't want is the muffler hanging out the side of the cowl distracting from the lines of the plane. Most of the Pitts style mufflers out there are designed for when the engine is mounted sideways and jtech sells a wrap around style that would be perfect but I'm not willing to spend $80 on a muffler for a little small nitro bird so I'm gonna attempt to make my own. I have all the equipment to do it so why not.
image.jpeg

Handful of old standard servos to make the wiggly bits wiggle.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The plane comes with mechanical retracts. Now the retracts themselves fit great but the year door covers are less than desirable so for the time I'm gonna pull them off and if I like how the plane flys I will make a set that fits correctly.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will post some pictures as I am doing it but, I don't know about a whole thread on it. My covering skills are not that good. The scheme is simple yet elegant. It is the same scheme as one of the British aerobatic pilot's 330SC :)
Looking forward to it and will be watching your progress. Speaking of covering, I need to get rolling on a certain Pitts.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
After working on Christmas gifts for a while I got out an ARF that a club member had given me as he realized the wing loading was a little higher than he could handle. It's a Pheonix Models Strega 40 size with a 55" wingspan.

View attachment 92046
First up is fitting the engine. Using an old os 50sx heli engine with the head milled to look like a normal engine. Fit perfect and didn't need to clearance the cowl at all to fit. View attachment 92047 View attachment 92048
My buddy also included an article from a magazine on it. One thing I don't want is the muffler hanging out the side of the cowl distracting from the lines of the plane. Most of the Pitts style mufflers out there are designed for when the engine is mounted sideways and jtech sells a wrap around style that would be perfect but I'm not willing to spend $80 on a muffler for a little small nitro bird so I'm gonna attempt to make my own. I have all the equipment to do it so why not. View attachment 92049
Handful of old standard servos to make the wiggly bits wiggle. View attachment 92050 View attachment 92051
The plane comes with mechanical retracts. Now the retracts themselves fit great but the year door covers are less than desirable so for the time I'm gonna pull them off and if I like how the plane flys I will make a set that fits correctly.

Looks like a fast little plane I think it will put a smile on your fasce. But please note owned a lot of JR servos all good but the the 507 have put me into the ground more times than I would like to remember be fearful with those.